Question

Error with webhooks - 'underlying connection was closed'

• 22 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have the same problem.

The error that I get is:

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.

Everything was working fine until the beginning of May. The error occurs when my system tries to PUT new request into the Webhook. 

Any idea what might cause this problem?

Thanks,

Nikola

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Nikola! I moved your reply to a new post so that we can better help with the trouble that you’re having 🙂

From the looks of the error message, it sounds like something has changed in the way that the app receiving the webhook has changed the way it expects to receive data. If yo haven’t changed anything else in the Zap, then that would be the most likely cause. Are you able to find out if anything has changed on the receiving end of the webhook? And just to make sure that we’re on the same page, is the webhook sending information to a third party app or a resource that you control (eg a database)? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

my 2 cents: it isn’t a slam dunk that the other end point has changed, Zapier could have changed how it fires PUTs too, sorry Zapier. Do a test - redirect the PUT to a test tool like webhook.site and visually inspect what the PUT looks like at the other end, is the json good, are fields missing, etc

I’ve had issue where Zapier says what the PUT looks like and guess what - it looks different at the other end

Hi @Nikola! I moved your reply to a new post so that we can better help with the trouble that you’re having 🙂

From the looks of the error message, it sounds like something has changed in the way that the app receiving the webhook has changed the way it expects to receive data. If yo haven’t changed anything else in the Zap, then that would be the most likely cause. Are you able to find out if anything has changed on the receiving end of the webhook? And just to make sure that we’re on the same page, is the webhook sending information to a third party app or a resource that you control (eg a database)? 

Nothing has changed in the application.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nikola Thanks for the update on the application. Could you possible try what @bubba198 described:

Do a test - redirect the PUT to a test tool like webhook.site and visually inspect what the PUT looks like at the other end, is the json good, are fields missing, etc

and see if that gives you a clue as to what’s happening?