Skip to main content
Question

EasyFTP to Formatter to Google Sheets - Replace All Rows When New File Drops

• 6 December 2023
  • 11 replies

I have tried setting up a Zap to grab a file from and SFTP and upload all rows to a Google Sheet. 

I am using Easy FTP as the file location.  I selected “new file in folder” as the event.  I then use Formatter by Zappier (utilities) to format the CSV.  I then used Google Sheets with the action Update Spreadsheet Row(s) to Google Sheets but I only get it to update one row because it requires a row number. 

The report I am dropping on the SFTP has over 500 lines (but less than 1000).  The idea is that when the file drops (once a day) the google spreadsheet will be updated will all new rows replacing prior ones.  

I have tried some of the line item options but still cannot make it work. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sagtavo 

Good question.

You would have to use the GSheet API: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/guides/concepts

Try using the AI in this Zap action: GSheets - App Extensions

You’ll need to first delete the desired rows in the GSheet.

Then you can try to use this Zap action: GSheets - Create Row(s)

I have set-up the below Zap.  It is to be triggered when a new file is placed on the designated SFTP folder.  When I test it, it works; 50 rows get populated as part of the test.  However, when the file is dropped on the SFTP, it is not triggering.  Not sure why. I have scheduled the CSV filed to be dropped a few times and I see it in the SFTP, but the Zap doesn’t trigger.  Even when I try to trigger is manually, it doesn’t.  What am I missing? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagtavo 

You don’t need step 3 since step 4 handles line items.

Try reaching out to EasyFTP Support.

EasyFTP help articles:

https://www.easyftp.io/docs/zapier

https://zapier.com/apps/easyftp/help

Connect to EasyFTP on Zapier

EasyFTP uses OAuth to authenticate your account on Zapier.

• Grant Zapier permission to access your account if prompted to.

Learn more about authenticating your EasyFTP account in Zapier.

About EasyFTP's app

Are self-hosted or cloud-hosted accounts supported? Cloud-hosted accounts only  
Is a paid EasyFTP plan required? No
View EasyFTP's plans.
Are any special account permissions required? No  
Are there usage limits? No  
Are there pagination limits? No  
Do trigger samples use real data from your account or generic data? Real trigger samples  
Are custom fields supported? No  
Do update actions overwrite or append to existing data? Not applicable  
Is there any additional info? Yes For Zapier Team or Company users, you can use a Static IP address to connect to Zapier

So I removed the extra step.  I ran a test and it is populating the 50 rows as part of the test.  However, after publishing it, it is giving me this error. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagtavo 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your GSheet zap step is configured.

You may need to remap the variables from the Formatter step.

This is the formatter step.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagtavo 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your GSheet zap step is configured now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagtavo 

In the Formatter step, the CSV Filed file expects a file url or a file object, rather than the filename of the file from Step 1.