Best answer

Dropbox File to Evernote then move file

• 7 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi All

I’m looking for a way where I can drop a file in a desktop directory (could be dropbox or similar) and have an Evernote note be created with the file as an attachment. However I’d then like to move that file to a different dropbox directory/folder (ideally I’d like to delete the file but I don’t think that’s possible. The directory I’m moving to will be a Junk directory which I’ll empty from time to time.

I can create a zap which looks for new files and then create a note with an attachment but I’m not sure how to then move that same file.  After the creation of the note would the next step be to move new files (would it still be considered new?) to move the file? What if there's multiple new files?

Thanks for the help

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 7 December 2021, 17:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tomn68 

Zaps trigger once per new detected file/record.

You can use this action as step 3 in your Zap: Dropbox Move File

Thanks Troy.  I’ll try that one again. I was having trouble getting that to work and figured it might have something to do with that step not knowing which file to be dealing with.  From step to step, does it retain the file name/ID…?

That worked. Was having trouble yesterday. Maybe an issue with AWS outage yesterday but anyway I have it working.

For those that might find this helpful, It took me a bit to figure out which action option to use with the Move File In Dropbox.  I had to use the Path option vs File. 

I wish there was a way to delete the file vs move the file. Idea was to save/drop... a file on a dropbox folder on my mac, have it create a new evernote note with attachment and then remove the file from dropbox.

In the meantime I’m moving it to a ‘junk’ folder in dropbox which I’ll have to remember to delete from time to time.

FWIW, Evernote has a Import Folders option (in preferences) to set up a drop folder where it will create a note with any new files that hit your directory.  A new feature in beta is an option to then delete the file after a note is created. Problem is you can’t choose which evernote folder to create the note in. It goes into your default folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks so much for sharing your update, @tomn68! Glad to hear you were able get it up and running with your workaround.

That’s great feedback regarding the “Delete File” action! I double checked and it looks like there’s an existing feature request open for that so I went ahead and added your vote. While we don’t have an ETA to offer, we’ll be sure to send you an email when and if that gets implemented. 🙂