Best answer

DRIP email registration

• 3 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I am looking for a good and correct way to register emails sent from DRIP to other applications.

Currently I'm using the DRIP trigger "email opened", but it seems this one gets repeated whenever the user actually opens the email, and not only the first time

A trigger for email sent does not exist.

I have also tried making an event in DRIP itself: this event registers when an email is received (not sent). This translates in a custom event I can register to in Zapier. However, I lose the data of the email, specifically the subject

What is my best way/option to register a sent email once with its data?

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 3 March 2020, 11:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Gregory

I don't think you're going to be able to trigger on email sent, but if I gave you a solution so that the zap doesn't trigger every time the email is opened after the first time - would that help?

Userlevel 1

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu

Yes, that would certainly help.

Indeed, there is no "email sent" trigger, thats why I used the "email opened" trigger instead. But the current issue is the repeat.

Avoiding the repeat would solve the issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Gregory

So, when that zap triggers, there is probably some sort of unique 'Message ID' field of similar.

What's I'd do is create a single column Google Sheet to record those IDs on.

Your zap would then look like this:

1. Email Opened Trigger
  2. Google Sheet -> Lookup Row (search for message ID)
  3. Filter: Only continue if... "Row ID from step 2 does not exist"
  4. Google Sheet -> Create Row - (with message ID)
  5. The rest...

This way, when the message is first opened, it won't find the message ID on the sheet and will pass the filter step (and write the ID to stop the zap in future) and move forward.

The next time the message is opened, it's ID will be found on the sheet and the filter step will stop it.

Userlevel 1

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu Thanks for the advice. This is a nice solution to prevent the repeat.

The only downside I see is the increase in cost of the Zap for searching, filtering and inserting. Seems to be an increase of 3 tasks.

Preventing the repeat also costs the look up (1 task)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yep @Gregory - that's the tradeoff I'm afraid.

Apps tend to build/maintain their own integrations on Zapier, so it might be worth lobbying their team to upgrade the triggers available.