Best answer

Download/convert YouTube video

• 17 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone, 

does anyone know how to convert/download YouTube videos? 

I thought it would probably be possible through one of the 5.200 Apps offered by Zapier, but I couldnd’t figure out which one it might be. 

Can someone help me out here?

icon

Best answer by franimal 20 December 2022, 19:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 1

There are lots of different options available. If you want to just download videos to mp4 format you can try: https://tubetomp4.com or https://youtubemp4.to. If you want to convert YouTube videos to different formats you can try YT Converter which offers a bunch of different tools to download, convert, and trim YouTube videos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @GamerGrid!

Where would you be looking to download these videos? Save them somewhere like Google Drive/Dropbox, for example?

As speakerbox mentioned, there are web tools and desktop applications that can download YouTube (and often convert them). If you’re looking to automate it, if you could elaborate a bit on what your ultimate goal is, that could help us recommend solutions :)

Userlevel 1

Hey there @nicksimard and @speakerbox,

thank you guys so much for your answers! I really appreciate it!

Sorry for not elaborating more on my ultimate goal. So what I want to achieve is basically have some kind of automation, to download images (.png. jpg .svg and so on) as well as videos from youtube (.mp4 format) into an OneDrive Folder. My current Zap receives an Array of different urls and parses them in a loop. Currently I download my images in this Zap through CloudConvert with the function “Capture a website in CloudConvert” by feeding my CloudConvert with a image url from the loop. Unfortunately it captures the image in more or less of a bad quality, but still works (if you have any other Idea on how to improve on this or have any other way to download images through a url, please feel free to share it with me :)). 
So talking about my ultimate goal: I want to do the same with youtube links. Having a Path which decides whether the looped link is a youtube link or an image (I already got that setup) and based on that downloads the video within a Zap and throws it into my OneDrive Folder. 
I unfortunately do not know any app that can download youtube videos within a zap which i could then use push over into my OneDrive. If you know any app within zapier that allows me to do so please feel free and share it with me! 

Btw: thank you for the youtube converter Websites. Im aware that these sites exist but I cant use them within Zapier or is there a way to do so?  

Hope that explains the goal im aiming for

Greetings

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @GamerGrid  -

So unfortunately, the trouble with this right now is Youtube does not provide the file of the video itself to Zapier in any of the “new video” triggers. 

We can go the other way around and upload TO Youtube, but we cannot trigger on a new video and have that come to us as a file to be uploaded or saved somewhere else. 

So I’ve added your email to our feature request on our internal wishlist for this, which does a few things:

- Re-raises the issue with our product team.
- Adds weight to the request (the more “votes” we get the better)
- Allows us to reach out to you immediately if the functionality becomes available

I don’t have an ETA on when that might happen but as we have your email logged as a vote there, we will be sure to drop you an email to let you know as soon as we get any news on that front.

I’m so sorry we don’t have a great solution for you now, I wish we could help more with that but if you have any questions about this at all or if I can help with anything else please just let me know. I’m really happy to help further! 

Userlevel 1

Hello @franimal 

thanks for your answer! And thank you for adding me to the wishlist email, really looking forward to have this feature without any workarounds.

Im aware that you can upload youtube videos through Zapier’s youtube extension and also that the youtube extension for Zapier does not provide a way to download videos.

Nevertheless I am still looking for any workarounds to download a youtube url video and convert them into a .mp4 format additionally pushing it onto my OneDrive. @franimal are you maybe aware of a Zapier extension that lets you download videos? Or some other extension that lets me do a workaround? Im more or less just looking for the right extension (App) for Zapier that lets me do this, eventhough it might not be the official Zapier youtube extension. 

Greetings

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @GamerGrid just stepping in for Fran here! Unfortunately, I don’t know of a workaround to be able to do this and while I did mark Fran’s response as a “best answer”, I’m going to leave this thread open incase anyone has any ideas or workarounds to offer you. 🤞

Userlevel 1

Hello @jesse 

thank you for the answer ! I think it’s a good idea to keep the thread opened and I would agree with you that @franimal answer is probably the best. Thank you for the Help to everyone.