Best answer

Does a single Zap run in parallel or serially?

• 11 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m getting errors in an integration between Eventbrite and Salesforce where I first do a “Find Record by Query” search for a record in Salesforce using multiple fields to see if the record exists first or not. If yes I update it. If no then I create it. However I’m getting errors back from zaps where at search time the record does not exist but then microseconds later when it tries to create the record it already exists so this step errors out.

It looks like this happens when a family registers a group of people and they reuse the same email address for multiple participants. This is quite common. We use the email address as a unique key but we also allow people to have many email addresses so I need to check all of them before deciding to create a new record. So my zap creates the record for the first person but it looks like a zap for the second person may already be running in parallel and sometimes beat the first zap and create the new record  in parallel thus causing the other zap to fail.

Is it possible to force this zap to act serially instead of running in parallel?

I’m also encountering this same situation in adding members to a campaign where if they exist already I’d like to increment a count on the campaign member but if they don’t I’ll create a new campaign member. In on instant they don’t exist but by the time the zap gets to the next step to create them, they it does exist.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 March 2022, 17:42

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @SVBC 

You can use a Delay After Queue Zap step to make Zaps run in order: https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-delays-to-zaps#delay-after-queue

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, the Delay After Queue Zap step seems odd to solve the issue at hand since it does not prevent the zap from running in parallel and the documentation there explicitly states: “The Delay After Queue action does not guarantee that the steps following it will never run simultaneously.”

I don’t need to slow down how quickly the outside app gets zapped which seems to be the goal of this zap, instead I need to make sure that each running instance of this sap is done serially and not in parallel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SVBC 

I’ve previously submitted similar feedback and feature requests to Zapier related to this.

Check out this related topic that can be used as a concept guide for how to create a looping Zap that runs sequentially.

NOTE: It’s Task intensive.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone however, now that I read more about delay after queue and how the queue works, the queue part will greatly reduce the likelihood of a collision and the minimum 1 minute delay between zap runs is overkill since if i just get a few hundredths of a second offset between zap runs it should all work fine. Thanks for this recommendation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SVBC 

Check out this help topic for how to delay for less than 1 minute.