Best answer

DocuSign number validation fields

• 17 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m building a zap to create a DocuSign signature request using data from our CRM. However, after a lot of troubleshooting I’m running into an issue. 

If a text box field in the DocuSign template has validation (I.e. numerical) the fields disappear from Zapier. Turn off validation and they reappear. 

I am using calculated fields elsewhere in the DocuSign template, so it requires these fields have validation. 

The data in the CRM is also number validated. 

Is this just a glitch in how the integration was built? Is there some sort of workaround?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 17 February 2022, 22:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ColinH 

Might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support for further assistance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

You can try using a different esign app, such as PandaDoc: https://zapier.com/apps/pandadoc/integrations

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Troy. I went ahead an opened a ticket with Zapier Support as well.

In terms of using a switching from DocuSign to PandaDoc, or another esign app, that’s a pretty significant workflow change to accommodate a relatively simple issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ColinH 

Keep in mind that if this is indeed a bug there’s no guarantee it will get fixed any time soon, since most apps on Zapier are built and maintained by the app developers themselves, and Zapier keeps an internal list of app requests.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Well I tried exploring PandaDoc, according to this, they don’t have a date field that is auto populated based on when the document is signed. That’s a requirement for us, because the contract dates and timeline are variable fields based on when the contract is signed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ColinH

Internally the timestamp for when a document was signed is stored and can be made available via Zaps.

I think we’d need a better understanding of how you are trying to use that variable, perhaps with a specific example.

PandaDoc has these available triggers:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @ColinH!

Thanks for reaching out! I did some digging and it appears custom fields for the Create Signature action don’t support numbers at the moment.

That said, we do have a feature request open to add support for this. I've gone ahead and added your vote! While I don’t have a timeline to offer on when or if this will get implemented we’ll be sure to keep you and the thread updated if it does. 🙂

Thanks again for sharing your thoughtful feedback!

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d, Thanks for your response! I saw that not as well, however, this isn’t a custom field. It’s a regular text box field with numerical validation. Not sure if that changes anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for clarifying that, @ColinH

Hmm, it sounds like the the number validation that is being applied to the text field is definitely causing issues with us being able to load the field correctly in the Zap. I think it could well be a bug that you’re running into here. I can see that you’ve got a conversation going on with our Support team about this which is great. They’ll be able to open up a bug report for this to investigated further. 

In the meantime, can you try turning off the field validation so that the fields appear and finish setting up the Zap? Then, if you turn the Zap on and re-add the field validation and the Zap runs does it run into any errors? Or do the fields with validation not get updated as expected?

I’m hoping that as we’re able to load the fields initially, the Zap may still be able to send data to them once the validation is in place. :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 1

@SamB @christina.d 

In case anyone finds this in the future and is looking for a solution, here is what I did…

I was attempting to take a monthly cost from PipeDrive, pull it into DocuSign, then perform forumlas to calculate total cost, cost per store, etc.

In order for DocuSign to perform the forumulas, it required the text boxes have numerical validation turned on. The number validation in DocuSign was breaking the Zap. The DocuSign fields would populate with data from PipeDrive as long as there was no validation. As soon as validation was turned on, the fields disappeared from Zapier and the data from PipeDrive would no longer be pushed through (even though it was numerical data) to DocuSign.

In order to get around the issue, I changed all the fields within DocuSign to text fields (with no numerical validation). I then added action steps to the Zap using Formatter by Zapier that did the numerical calculations I needed, then used those fields to populate the text fields in DocuSign.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks so much for looping back to share your workaround, @ColinH! 🎉