Best answer

Do a Onedrive file search with only part of the filename?

• 3 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I want to find a file based on a reference number and copy it into a new folder.

Using the exact filename is not a great option, as there’s not an exact naming convention. We’re working with addresses and while I can train staff to do it a specific way each time in order to predict it, I know it will only sometimes work. 

My technical skills are fairly advanced but this one has stumped me. 

What’s your fave workaround for this? Some kind of master sheet of catalogued file names maybe?

icon

Best answer by SamB 3 March 2023, 11:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Interesting question @MikaylaN! 🙂

You could potentially create a lookup table in a spreadsheet that holds a list of the file names and the corresponding reference numbers. Then in a Zap you’d just search that spreadsheet for the reference number and it would give you the corresponding file name to be copied.

You can find out more about creating a lookup table in a spreadsheet app like Google Sheets here:

Otherwise you could look at using a Formatter (Text > Extract Pattern) action and use some Regex to would pull out the relevant reference number from the file name to search for.

Do you think either of those approaches could work?

I think the spreadsheet solution might be a goer! I was in too deep to consider that. Sometimes the simple solution is the way to go. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @MikaylaN,

Awesome! I’m glad SamB was able to help.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗