Question

Delaying Zap A until Zap B is triggered?

• 27 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to build something that would resemble this:

I have a Zapier with a step somewhere in the middle that calls Slack API to check if a certain Slack message has a reaction emoji. If it does, then it continues, otherwise it stops and gives an error. This is a manual check step for a process that I need to validate manually by looking at the data in the Slack message, and if the data is correct I react to the message and allow the process to continue.

Between the message being sent, and the emoji validation step, I have a 24h delay - so I have a full day to receive the message, check the data, and react to the message with the correct emoji.

I want to further improve this process here by not having to wait the full 24 hours, and instead just having the Zap on-hold until the reaction is added - so the process could theoretically take between 0-24+ hours, instead of always taking 24 hours. 

From what I see there could be two(maybe three?) ways, but I have had yet to have success either any of those.

Option A: I use a Loop step, but I don’t see how I could loop indefinetely, as I assume the Loop step only works on a “per-item” basis instead of a timer-basis.

Option B: I use a Delay Until step, but again, I am not sure how to go about here.

Option C: I use another Zap with the trigger “New Reaction Added”, but without having the Sub-Zap step as the initial step I don’t see how this would work. Also since there’s multiple Zap runs on the main Zap running, I am afraid this would be too async for the purpose, as I need to validate each message differently.

So bottom-line, I need to be able to delay a Zap until a reaction emoji is added in a message that was sent by the same Zap.

I am a bit lost here, any fresh ideas on how I could tackle this?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Urban Sports 

Here’s an option to explore…

Chain Zaps together using Webhooks: