Skip to main content
Best answer

Data Format Issue in Zapier

Hi,

I have a question on the data structure once Zapier gets a hold of something in this image:

you can see that the data returned from the webhook is a perfect array, All I am looking to do, is pull all of the values for a specific “Custom Fields Field ID”.

However, if I add a follow-up task, this is how Zapier structures the data:

...all if the values appear as a single, comma-delimited array. If I use code to find the index position that matches the “Custom Fields Field ID” and return the values for that specific ID, it just gives the one value at the specified index - not all of the values for that ID. I know I am missing something, so can you please tell where I went wrong?

Thank you!

Hi @emc1959 

Change the Zap trigger to: Webhook - Catch RAW Hook

Then you can use a Code step to parse out the desired values.

Thanks so kindly for for the reply Troy! But the data is being returned not from an incoming webhook, but a API query to a third party API using GET. And the data appears correctly in the reply from the GET, but the next task in Zapier is changing the format to where all of the individual values are combined into one comma-delimited array,

@emc1959 

You can use a Code step to make the API request then handle the response to parse the data however you’d like.

Or you can try this advanced approach to get the RAW JSON:

Thank you so much Troy!

I’ll give it a shot. Have a great day!

Hi @emc1959,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Did Troy's recommendation get the job done? If you need any assistance, feel free to reach out. We're happy to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.

Thank you all for this! I am going to try it out this morning and let you know.

Hi Jammer, no unfortunately that doesn’t give me what I am looking for. In my first image, you can see that each “Custom Fields FIeld ID” element, has a set of values associated with it. PERFECT!

However, if in the next task if I try to pull or search for just one of the Custom Fields Field ID to get just the values associated with that ID, I find that Zapier has now run all IDs and all Values into a single comma-delimited array. and thus I cannot match the index from the desired ID with those values since all of the values from all IDs are now a comma-delimited array. There is no association between values with just a single ID.

I hope I am explaining this right… I might be confusing you (I have dyslexia!)

Hey @emc1959 👋

Not sure if you’ve already sorted this but if not, I wonder if the approach outlined in this guide might be worth a try:

If you give that a try and run into any issues do let us know, happy to assist further! 🙂

Hey SamB -

Thanks so much for the reply!
Actually, that was the way I ended up solving the issue - I just wasn’t smart enough to find the right doc!! 😀

Thanks for this and I will definitely tag this page!

Have a great day and thanks again!

YAY! That’s really great news @emc1959. Fantastic work on figuring that out, especially without the help of that guide! 🙌 ✨

Hope you have a great day too. Happy Zapping! ⚡️