Best answer

Daily trigger to run an action on every Excel row

• 29 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m connecting Excel with Freshdesk to create tickets for each row, and the rows will be pasted to the Excel Sheet from a daily report. I have this set up with the Updated Row in Microsoft Excel Trigger currently. There’s several downsides to this approach though, so I’d love help making things work the way I’d like.

I’d rather have a daily time trigger to run the job so that at 9am every row on the sheet creates a ticket. If I switch the Trigger from the Updated Row to a daily Trigger instead, then I can’t look for new and updated rows, so I have to use a Find Row action with a key, but that only returns the first result and I need every row. I really don’t need to look for new or updated rows in the traditional sense anyway, because we’re replacing the old list with a new one each day, not adding or editing the same list. So simply having each row trigger each day, no matter the content, is all I’m after. I’ve experimented with Looping, but that seems to be built more for a list than a sheet, and it never loops (though it runs one row without errors).

This seems like simple behavior that would be commonly used, but I can’t seem to figure it out. I appreciate any ideas!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 29 March 2021, 16:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @wlurie 

Check out this videos for inspiration…and considering using the Looping action: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations

Hey Troy, “I’ve experimented with Looping, but that seems to be built more for a list than a sheet, and it never loops (though it runs one row without errors).”

Do you have any experience using the Looping action with Excel rows?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wlurie 

I recommend watching the video in the article as covers the concepts of configuring a Zap to do Looping.

Sorry, I only caught the article to the Looping by Zapier action, not the separate video you shared that doesn’t use it. I’m on a VPN that doesn’t allow Youtube, so I assumed the looping in that video was the same as the Looping by Zapier action from the article you also linked. The video does exactly what I need via webhooks instead. Thanks for your help!