Question

Daily File Download to Drive

• 11 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi - I’d like to set up a Zap that downloads a csv file daily from a url directly into a drive folder. Is this possible to do?

I want it to happen without my laptop needing to be on - so no downloads to my hard drive.

The file is quite large (just under 1 mb) so importing it as a csv file seems to be off the books.

I have Google workspace. Would ideally be able to do it only using free steps.

TIA!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @tomj1!

As long as the url is publicly accessible, you should be able to do this with Zapier. I say should instead of ‘can’ because the size of the file may cause an issue. First let’s look at the steps you’d need in a Zap. 

For the trigger you’d use Schedule by Zapier, which tells the Zap to start a certain time/day. You’d set that so that the Zap triggers at whatever time you need, daily. The action that you need is Google Drive - Upload file. That action will upload a file (which can be one at a publicly accessible url) to a folder that you choose in your Google Drive account. It’s important to note that this will create a new file each day, if you want the Zap to replace the existing csv file each day, use the Replace File action. 

If the file is too large, you might run into this error: SoftTimeLimitExceeded: Task time limit of 180s exceeded shown on a file upload action

That means that the file can’t be uploaded in the amount of time the Zap has to complete the action. The best way to see if this Zap will work for you is to build it and test it, that will give you a clear answer on whether or not it will work. 

I hope that’s clear, let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Thanks. - it had been saying it wasn’t working but looks like it might be now. Will see how it goes and hop back here if I have any problems…!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

That is fantastic to hear @tomj1 !

Glad to hear it looks like it was working -- let us know if you had anymore questions about this =)

Userlevel 1

So what I’m ending up with is a google doc with the url as text, rather than a csv with the data downloaded. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tomj1 

Please post detailed screenshot with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have context, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As @Troy Tessalone said, screenshots would definitely help. Also, when uploading your file you can add the file extension so set this up as csv and see if it works. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey again @tomj1 !

What this means is either that the URL we are trying to access is password-protected or the URL does not link directly to a file download.  In those cases, we will generate a file with the URL as the content instead of the file you expect.

Some screenshots of the input to your Google Drive step of the data you are passing into the File field would be helpful, as well as a direct link to one of the CSVs you are trying to download if possible for us to have a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @tomj1!

Were you able to get this sorted? Let us know if you still need some help!