Best answer

CUT & PASTE SPECIAL/TRANSPOSE IN GOOGLE SHEETS

• 3 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have built a basic Zap to add a new worksheet to an existing spreadsheet when a new entry is received from a Typeform.

I now need to take that data from a single row, copy the data and 'paste special' as a 'transposed' - so, the data appears in a single column with multiple rows - rather than a single row and multiple columns.

I would sincerely appreciate if someone can provide me with the steps I need to take to build this automation.

Regards
Julie

icon

Best answer by SamB 3 May 2023, 12:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @JulieAL, great question! 🙂

Hmm, I’m not seeing any options within the existing Google Sheets actions to be able to do that. And I can’t find any existing feature requests for the Google Sheets app for the ability to do that. So I’d suggest contacting our Support team to request that a new feature request be opened up for this, on your behalf. That’ll help to flag interest in this with the app’s developers so it can potentially be added to the Google Sheets app at some point in the future.

In the meantime, looking at the API documentation for Google Sheets it seems that there’s a CopyPasteRequest endpoint you could use for this. As it appears to have the option to set the pasteOrientation to TRANSPOSE.

So you might be able to use a API Request (Beta) action event for Google Sheets, or maybe use a Webhooks by Zapier action, to paste the information into Google Sheets vertically instead of horizontally. Not sure if this will be a suitable alternative for now as it’s a bit more advanced, but if it’s something you’d be interested in exploring please check out our Create an API request in your Zaps (Beta) or Send webhooks in Zaps guides for more details.

I’d be very interested to know whether or not that works so please do keep us updated on how you get on with this!

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your response. It’s certainly better than the response I’ve had from Zapier so far.
I will check out the links you have sent me and see if I can work out how to do it. I am not experienced with Webhooks/API Requests, so not sure I’ll be able to manage it however if the instructions are clear I’ll be OK.

I’ll continue to raise this with Zapier to ensure they consider adding the feature to either Google Sheets and/or Excel. Copy/Cut and Transpose is a feature of both Google Sheets and Excel so I see no reason why it can’t be added to the options.

Due to my lack of experience with Webhooks etc. please do let me know if you have any other advice.

In the meantime, I will let you know if I have any luck.

Regards,

Julie

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Glad I could help, @JulieAL! Fingers crossed that CopyPasteRequest endpoint will do the trick here. 🤞

Webhooks can be a bit tricky if you’ve not worked with them before, so if you run into any issues in setting up that workaround just reach out in the Community and I’m sure folks will be happy to help further. 🙂