Question

Customize email body from SurveyMonkey fields

• 9 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I am trying to send an email with Outlook to a user who completes a surveymonkey form. In the surveymonkey form, there are several different services which the user can select (checkboxes) based on what they are interested in. I would like to create a follow-up email to that user which includes more information about each of these services, but I don’t want to include information about services they are not interested in. 

I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to create, essentially, an if/then scenario in which: 

if [INTERESTED_IN_SERVICE_A = TRUE], include [TEXT ABOUT SERVICE A] in email, 

if [INTERESTED_IN_SERVICE_B = TRUE], include [TEXT ABOUT SERVICE B] in email, etc. 

Any thoughts about how to create this with Zapier would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sarah J

How many different options are there?

You can try using a Formatter > Utilities > Lookup Table: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-use-formatter-functions#using-the-lookup-table

[ADVANCED] This can be accomplished using a Code step: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

+1 on what Troy said.

If it’s a just a single line that you are going to change, the Lookup Table will work nicely.

But if it’s quite a lot of email, you’re going to need to “build” the body in a Code Block. I had to use this approach with a client recently. But if you want to include link, with HTML tags, etc, it does start to get a bit messy in my opinion.

Depending how many variations you have, you could also use Paths e.g. “If this option, go down this path and send this email. If this other option, ignore the others and go this route”. It only allows a maximum of 3 paths though and get messy to maintain. 

Thanks guys. I’ve got 7 different options in the survey they can select.