Question

Custom Salesforce Field unavailable in Zap

• 7 October 2022
  • 8 replies

I have a zap from Salesforce to TalentLMS (a learning platform) where I am sending an outbound message with a number of fields.  I added a new custom field to what is zapped over (in the outbound message), but when I go to the zap in the setup action step, I’m unable to find that field.  It has been a week since I added the field in SF, so don’t think it is an issue of a lag.  And other SF custom fields are being ported over successfully to TalentLMS.  Any ideas what I’ve done wrong or where I should be looking?  Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Shore , 

Im guessing the SF is a Trigger step? Have you tried to import more test data ? The field will only appear on new test data, then you can map it as needed

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Shore checking in!

Were you able to get this Zap up and running? Did importing new test data help you map the rest of your Zap out? 

Hi @MohSwellam and @chanelle,

Apologies for my tardiness, and thank you for your replies.  I have been on vacation…  So I did try to push in new test data, and if I look at the Zap, I can see that the field is being successfully sent over from SF in the outbound message to Zapier.  However, when I go to the Zapier action, I still don’t have this variable available to me.  What I am trying to do is base the group they are assigned to be a variable based on their language preference in TalentLMS.  It currently is set up so that it defaults to the English language group, and that still is what the zap is doing in creating the TalentLMS user.  Any other thoughts on how this might be corrected.  Thanks, and promise to be more prompt in my responses!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Shore , 

Welcome back :) 

So to be clear, the field is now coming from SF but you cannot find the field in TalentLMS action? What is the action you’re using? Please send us some screenshots with your current zapier setup

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @Mike Shore - it’s a Friday afternoon so no worries if you don’t get back to us until Monday, but just checking in to see if you made any progress or could shoot us some screenshots so we can keep helping you troubleshoot! 

Let us know, and chat soon.
Rachael​​​​​​​

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for your help here!  I’ve attached a file showing the issue.  I’m afraid it is showcasing my ignorance here of how to get variables into Zapier.  If this isn’t helpful, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Shore ,

Like you said in the attachment, it is waiting for the number under the field name (I have a tutorial on the community just about that, you might wanna check it out). So unless you choose a value from the Group dropdown, you need to pass “5” instead of ICCC in French. 

Now comes the tricky part, how to get this value? Unfortunately I dont see a way to bring this value automatically in the Zapier integration nor does TalentLMS have an end point to list Groups (it only allows to create / delete). Now this is where we have to use Zapier Lookup Table (found under Formatter by Zapier > Utilities) 

Lookup Key = the field coming from Salesforce

Lookup Table:

Left would be the numbers 1 to 5 (as shown in your screenshot) and right would be the Group names (ICCC in French / ICCC en espanol / etc. - make sure they have the same spelling)

Now the result of this step would be the corresponding number. THEN you can use this result in TalentLMS

Note: If you add a group in TalenLMS you would need to come back to this zap and update the lookup table. 

Hope this helps :)  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @Mike Shore - were you able to use @MohSwellam ‘s advice above to get your Zap built? Let us know or if you have any other questions and we’re here to help you :)