Skip to main content

Hi everyone! I'm new to Zapier, but wanted to see if my use case was possible. There's a website that has a CSV file that you can download. It's updated on a monthly basis and the file name or link doesn't change. Each month, I have to manually click on the link, download the CSV and then upload the results to a database. I'd like to be able to automate that process. Is that something Zapier can do?

Hey there! Welcome to the community!

What you're trying to do is certainly possible, but it may depend on a few things. If you could share with us a link to this site, I'm sure I (or someone else) will be able to help further

Hi @Vinnie! You can certainly take a csv and upload it to a database using Zapier, the tricky bit will be downloading it from the website.

I think you'll likely have to download the file to somewhere like Google Drive/Dropbox and then Zapier can take over and automate things from there.

Let us know if you'd like some more detail on how that would work!

A lot of the time, websites that provide CSV files to download, can then be accessed via an API request. I'd go to the site, open up your developer tools, (right-click -> inspect in Chrome or Option+Cmd+C), go to 'Network', and then click to export the CSV. If it isn't a button, just keep the inspect tool open and then visit the site.

As Saastronomical mentioned above, please post the site link (if possible) and we can investigate further. If a request is possible, you can then use the Webhooks by Zapier utility to grab the CSV (maybe).

Thank you. I will give your input a try. Have a great day!

Hi @Vinnie ,

Circling back to summarize the above suggestions and to make sure you were able to automate this workflow!

Solutions summary:

• Download file (to GoogleDrive/Dropbox) for Zap to access

OR

• Access via API request (opening up dev tools→ Network → Export CSV/keept inspection tool open while visiting site)  

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!