Question

Creating Google Calendar Event from Trello Card Start/Dur Dates

• 3 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello! It seems pretty straight forward however I only have the ability to trigger from Trello using a set amount of time before a card is due… is there a way to create a trigger off the fact that a due date is added? If so is there a way to check that there is also a start date on the card to ensure the accurate data is there to create the event?

Ultimately I want to use this to schedule tasks in Trello that populate out to technicians as events. I can get it to work beautifully when testing but the trigger itself doesn’t execute properly (instantly when dates added). 

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @zwilbanks89 and welcome to the Community. 

I did some digging, and it looks like there is a feature request for this. The bad news means this isn’t currently possible to do, but the good (ish) news is that I added you to the list of interested users so that should any updates occur, you’ll be the first to know. 

Sorry I don’t have better news here, I’ll see if anyone else in the Community perhaps has a creative suggestion that would offer you some sort of workaround. In the meantime, please come by with any other question or troubleshooting advice you may need. 

Best,

Rachael

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zwilbanks89!

There are a couple of different ways that you could do this, which you choose will depend on how you use Trello. 

Using the Card update trigger

You could set up a Zap that uses the Card Updated trigger and add a filter step immediately after that one. The Filter would tell the Zap to only continue if the card a due date (or a start date and due date, if that’s what you need.) You then need to use a Find or Create Google Calendar event. This will search your calendar for an existing event that matches the card and will only create a new event if one doesn’t already exist. 

This approach will do everything that you need, the downside being that it will be triggered whenever there is an update to a card. If the card doesn’t match your filter (eg having a due date) then that wont use any tasks. But each time you update a card that does match the filter, the Zap will use two steps, whether or not there’s already an event. 

Using Labels

Another approach would be to use the New Label Added to Card trigger. You could manually add a label to a card when it has both a due date and start date, this would then trigger the Zap and create the Calendar event. This is the most efficient approach in terms of using tasks, but relies on you remembering to add the label to cards. 

Will either of those approaches work for you? And please let us know if you have any questions about the suggestions!