Best answer

Creating document from template

• 11 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’m connecting Paperform with Google Docs,

Paperform Submission > Create Document from Template,

In the description of the event it states: “Creates a new doc based on an existing one and can replace any placeholder variables found in your template doc, like {{name}}, {{email}}, etc.”

How do I marry up my variables in my template with data contained in submissions? Must my variable in the document template match the variable name of each data point in the form?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anna :-)

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 12 May 2020, 21:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @AnnaPage ,

Thanks for reaching out! I see that Kaushi in Support was able to get you squared away here! To help other users who may be interested in a similar workflow, I am summarizing her response below.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!

When you're using the Create Document from Template Action in Google Docs, there are few things to keep in mind:

• Any fields in your document that you want be filled out automatically by the Zap (by passing your Paperform data), must be in double {{curly braces}} in Google Docs. 
  • In the example, you will take name, address and birthday from Trigger data and pass that into the copy of the document you have created from your template
  • When this is set up correctly, your Create Document from Template will be created and you can map your trigger data to the template
  • Your variable names in the template do not need to be a 100% match to what's coming out from Paperform. But I recommend that you keep a fairly consistent naming convention, because it'll make it easier for yourself and anyone else whose working on the Zap 🙂
Userlevel 1

Perfect!

One other point we found: 

Zapier struggled to find my templated when then were in folders, I bought them out to just sit on my google drive and this sorted the issue instantly,

Cheers!