Best answer

Creating a Zap to search, update (or create) a record in Airtable without duplicating records

• 25 April 2023
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi there,

I am creating a donor management base in Airtable. Small community org - please help! 🙏 This will all take place in the same Airtable base.

• Table 1 lists every individual donation
  • Table 2 is intended to have a list of each donor (some donors donate multiple times).

My goals:

1. First I want to tackle all of the past donations and create a new record for each donor in Table 2. I am not able to go through each one manually because there are over 2,500 donations. And I’m not able to copy and paste because that would create duplicate records from the people who donated multiple times.
  2. Once I’m caught up to the present, I want to create a search and update Zap in Airtable for all future incoming donations. 
    1. When a record in Table 1 is created, I want a Zap to search Table 2 to see if that record exists (preferably by email AND name, since some donors do not list their email). If the donor record does exist in Table 2, then Zap would update the Table 2 record to include this donor’s most recent donation. 
    2. If this is a first time donor and the record does not exist, then I would like the Zap to create a new record in Table 2. 
  3. Lastly, I want to create a rollup field in Table 2 - from values in Table 1 - to calculate the total amount of money someone has donated. However, I don’t know how to do this since I can’t manually link each individual record because there are so many. 

Grateful for any tips to support this newbie Zapper.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 25 April 2023, 00:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Flower Zap 

Good question.

If you use the Linked record field then you can link records across Tables.

In the Donors Table, make the primary key (first field on the very left) the email address of the Donor.

In the Donations Table, make the email address a linked field type.

Then any time you add a new donation, it will link to an existing matching Donor record OR create a new Donor record.

One thing to check is that capitalization matters for how Airtable sees unique values, so you’ll want to normalize the email address (either all UPPERCASE or all lowercase).

TIP: You can also use Airtable Automations to do automations across Tables in the Base.

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone! This was extremely helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Flower Zap,

Awesome! I’m glad Troy was able to help you with your concern.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗