Best answer

Creating a trigger only for modified Airtable records

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi Zapier community!

Workflow question for you all. Is it possible to create a Zapier trigger that sends pre-populated text to Slack within a comment thread?

More context

Here’s my current project management workflow (Airtable + Slack triggers):

• Project is submitted via an Airtable form.
  • Once the project enters Airtable, an automatic message is sent to a specific Slack channel with additional details (e.g. who submitted the project).

Here’s the workflow I’m trying to build:

1. Project is submitted via Airtable
  2. Once the project enters Airtable, an automatic message is sent to a specific Slack channel with additional details.
  3. If a specific field in Airtable is updated (e.g. a dropdown status field is changed to ‘in progress’), an automatic message is sent to a specific Slack channel (ideally the message in #2 creating a threaded comment).

Right now it looks like you can only create triggers for new records or new AND modified records, not just modified records. So I’m not entirely sure if this workflow or a variation of it would work.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 7 February 2023, 23:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jb_crunchbase 

Good question.

You need to specify a Last Modified field.

You can use a Last Modified field in Airtable that only watches a specific column.

https://support.airtable.com/docs/last-modified-time-field

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jb_crunchbase 

Alternatively you can use Airtable Automations to trigger Zaps:

Thanks for your thoughts, @Troy Tessalone ! This is helpful. Is there any way to create automated messages that go to a Slack thread in a specific channel or create a thread within an existing comment in a specific channel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jb_crunchbase 

In the Zap action: Slack - Send Channel Message

There is this field for Threads