Question

Creating a link in a Google Doc from a template and Airtable

• 23 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi there, 

I am using Zapier to create custom google docs for clients from a google doc template (with data pulled from Airtable, each client has a record). Everything is working just fine. But I have a question. One of the Airtable fields is an attachment. I’m guessing I cannot add the attachment to the google doc through Zapier. However, I am able to add the link to the attachment. (That is, I can add the relevant link to each client’s google doc.)

However, right now the link is just text-- it’s not a functional link. Is there any way to make that text into a link?

Would I do this with the template?

Thanks, 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Socrates22 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured for us to have better context about the data points you are using in your Zap, and outline a specific example for us to follow, thanks.

Hi again,

Well, I start with a web hook. That hook is generated by a button in Airtable. When that button is pressed, it tells Zapier to look up the record, then when Zapier has that record, it creates a google doc from a template. 

The forms that are populated from the template are {{firstname}} {{lastname}} and some other data (specific to that client.)  What I would like to do is insert a working link into the google doc. Right now, I’m using {{link}} in my template and the link is taken from the Airtable base. It populates the {{link}} field, but it is populated as text, not a working link. 

I’m really just wondering if it is possible to insert a working link in the newly generated google doc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Socrates22

I did some testing and here’s what I found.

GDoc Create Doc from Template doesn’t seem to support HTML.

But GDoc Append Text to Doc does support HTML.

I suggest opening a ticket with Zapier Support for further guidance and clarification: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thank you! I’ll do that.

I’m having the same issue as @Socrates22 

@Troy Tessalone What is GDoc App Text to Doc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Maia 

Try this Zap action: GDoc Append Text to Doc