Best answer

Creating a date stamp for today in a specific timezone.

• 15 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I want to create a 'date stamp' for 'today' and have it as today in AEDT (Australia/Sydney) timezone.

I've easily created the date stamp but it comes up in another (don't know which one) timezone. Easy to identify because today in Sydney is the 15th and it is outputting the 14th. I need the date stamp for a legal letter that will be generated so it is important that it is accurate. It's not simply a matter of adding a day "+1 day" because eventually when the clocks tick over from midnight from the timezone in which the server is the date output will be in the future. Also obviously not good 🙂 I've tried adding hours to compensate but nothing seems to work.

Screenshots of the step included.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Paul

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.17.12 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.17.40 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.17.53 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.18.14 am.png

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 15 October 2019, 06:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Time... time zones... and time formatting. If only we'd all accept a universal timezone and ditch daylight savings and other mumbo jumbo. And yes there is real science behind ditching timezones... but I digress.

@pauljlange are you familiar with the Zapier built in function called {{zap_meta_human_now}}? This page explains more about it.

Once you use Zap Meta Human Now, then you just have to adjust the timezone settings for the Zapier account or check the actual settings for the zap. You could follow the steps here to get a formatter and switch "from" one timezone to another, but I would hate seeing you add time instead of just converting the timezone. (see the "from" and "to" timezone settings in the screenshot below)

5579E725-B590-4EE7-B525-A4276B43391B.pngHopefully this helps. Let us know if it worked or if you need additional assistance.

Userlevel 1

OMG thanks Paul. I vaguely remember hearing about it and THANK YOU for putting that front and centre for me. Perfect

Warmest regards

P

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Happy to help Paul. I use the Zap Meta Human Now variable in a lot of zaps, it's quite handy!

One small precaution; if you use {{zap_meta_human_now}} to insert the current date/time and haven’t gotten around to setting the timezone in your Zap settings then your Zap may stop running with no issue or error message.

Hey :D I still don’t get sydney time
When i add {{zap_meta_human_now}}  tag it keeps it in the mm/dd/yyyy format

The setting in google sheets are also DDmmyyyy so not sure how else to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Joshbuss!

If you need your date to be in a different format/timezone, you can look into our Formatter: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/modify-date-and-time-formats-in-zaps

See if that helps at all :)