Best answer

Created Square custom fields in Customer mapping but Zapier does not see them

• 29 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Community.  I posed my issue to zap support but got ‘can’t be done’ answer.  So, casting a wider net for a solution. 

My environment

Square:  I use Square for web & direct sales, estimates, invoices, and customer directory, etc.   Nothing new here.

QuickBooks Online (QBO): I use QBO to handle heavier accounting tasks that Square falls short on and for deeper finance tasks for my business.

Connect to Square App: This add-on integration is provided by QBs and works nicely pulling over ‘some’ sales data from Square. Works well.

1st simple goal

I want to keep my customer directory in sync between Square and QBO so no matter what I use SQ or QB I have the same up-to-date customer info.  I don’t want a periodic export/import solution.  Zaps were made for this.

1st Issue:

I Compared customer fields between them, and SQ is missing a few that QBO uses like ‘Customer display name’, ‘Title’, ‘Website’, etc.  Very basic text fields.

Steps:

1. To align fields up better I then created custom fields on SQ via: Customer > Settings > Configure Profile>create custom field> Field Name: Title & Field Type: Text input.  I repeated this for other text field inputs so that the customer entry is 1:1 between them.
  2. Then I created a new Square customer and filled in all fields in their form.
  3. Then I created a new zap called 'New Customer in Square' and followed their wizard and tested the trigger.  But the data zap came back with did not contain any of the SQ custom fields nor values I just entered.
  4. Tried various combos but they are not recognized/found

Question:

1. How do I get my Square custom fields to be seen by zapier so I can map them in the next step of my zap which is ‘Find/Create new customer in QBs?
  2. Can I use Webhooks and/or API calls to get what I need if SQ or Zapier do not support custom fields?

Follow-on goals:

I foresee this scenario in areas such as trying to sync up Products, Estimates, and Invoices between SQ & QBO.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 30 December 2022, 15:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @damonmanni, welcome to the Community!

It looks like in the past Square didn’t support custom fields in their API, which is why the Square integration wasn’t built with them. I’m not a developer, but I took a look at the Square API documentation and it looks like you can now get custom attributes for customers: https://developer.squareup.com/reference/square/customercustomattributes-api

I can see that you’ve already been added to the feature request asking for custom fields to be added to the New Customer Trigger and I’ve added a note on that feature request to let the team know that Square have added Custom customer attributes to the API. I don’t know when we’ll be able to update the Square integration to add custom fields, so your approach of using webhooks/API calls will be likely be fastest way of being able to set up the Zaps that you need. The link above has information about how to call and use the Custom Customer attributes API. 

I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Danvers,

Wow, thank you for this explanation and tip. I have been completely sunk w/out a solution for mapping.

With your API reference, how do I apply/map the api calls in zapier to get the data from Square?  Apologies but I’m green with zapier and API’s.    Is this where I would use zapiers’  webhooks?

cheers,
Damon

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @damonmanni! You got it - Webhooks by Zapier is gonna be your best bet for this scenario. 🙂

Full transparency this approach is considered a bit more on the advanced side so support will be limited here. That said, here’s a few resources to get you started!

We also have our code and webhooks forum where some of our more technical users hang out! So once you’re up and rolling if you have specific questions that may be a good place to start.

Of course, if you’d rather not fuss with any of this, you can also consider hiring a Zapier Expert to take on some of the heavy lifting for you. 🤗

I hope some of this helps!