Skip to main content
Question

Create Outlook event with specified category

• 12 March 2024
  • 7 replies

I have a Zap set up to create an event based on a new or updated record in Airtable (i.e. based on a date field in Airtable).

I want the event to be categorized as “Red” because it will then show up in my calendar in red. The “Add Event in Outlook” zap does not include an option to set a category (at least I couldn’t find it, and I checked multiple times).

There has to be a way to do this, but I can’t figure it out. Can someone help? Thank you.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @wonderwall2 

Try adding this Zap action: Outlook - Update Calendar Event

It has a field for Categories.

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for your quick reply. I have tried playing with that Zap, but it’s not working. I think because it does not yet see event crated in the previous step. In other words, Zapier doesn’t understand that I want the event that I’m creating to be modified before it is posted onto my calendar. Does that make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wonderwall2 

You would add this Zap step after the step: Outlook Create Event

Map the ID of the Event between steps.

@wonderwall2

You would add this Zap step after the step: Outlook Create Event

Map the ID of the Event between steps.

Thanks. What do you mean by “Map the ID of the Event between steps”? That’s where I’m struggling and am receiving error codes whenever I try to run a test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wonderwall2 

The step for Outlook Create Event will return an ID of the Event.

That needs to be mapped to the Event field in the Outlook Update Event step.

Help article for using dropdown fields: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

If you still need help, post more screenshots.

Here are screenshots of my Zap. The second screenshot is the image from the “Update” edit pane. The ID field seems to be the only relevant one with “ID” in the title. I don’t see a specific field for “Event ID.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wonderwall2 

That is correct.

That mapped variable value should match to a dropdown list option.

Help article about using dropdown fields: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

When in doubt, test it out.