Best answer

Create multi-line invoice in wave?

• 16 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I have setup a zap to automatically create an invoice in wave whenever a new customer is added to wave. But this invoice only has a single line. Does anyone know how to do this same task with more than one line in the invoice?

icon

Best answer by SamB 17 February 2023, 14:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Redwolf Sports Media, welcome to the Community! 👋

I’ve just double-checked and Wave’s Create Invoice action does support line items.

Although there are singular fields for entering the Item Description, Item Price etc. it’s possible to put multiple items into those line item fields. Then each item will be added as separate line items on the invoice. You can find out more about working with line items in your Zap here: Use line items in Zaps

Hope that helps. Please do let us know how you get on with this, want to make sure you’re all set!

Userlevel 1

I must be doing something wrong or approaching this whole thing the wrong way. I have read and watched the articles you provided multiple times and am unable to produce the desired result. The desired workflow is that when a new customer is created in wave, I would like an invoice generated with two basic line items.

I have set this up using the “new customer” trigger and the “create invoice” action, which allows for only a single item to be selected.  This works, but only gives me one line item

As per the article I have tried to add a formatting layer between those two to to create multiple lines, but at that point in the zap only customer information is available, so I am unable to choose the line item fields I want create lines from.

If I try to do the formatting later on, the invoice has already been created and the only available action is “create invoice” so using this action results in a second invoice to get generated.

So I’m lost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah, I think I can see the issue here @Redwolf Sports Media. Usually you would pass a series of different values for the different line item fields. These line item values would normally come from a trigger or different action in the Zap. But it sounds like you’re looking to have the same items added to the invoice for each new customer. Is that correct?

If yes, then you’ll want to create some line items to use as I did a quick test and it looks like Wave won’t accept a comma-separated list of values. For that you’d want to use a Formatter (Utilities > Line-itemizer (Create/Append/Prepend) action. For example:
f58ab806a196bc6b581d06df0cef7d4e.png
For the Item Product field, as it’s got a dropdown with a list of options, you’ll need to select the Custom value option and then select the field that contains the relevant product IDs. That would look something like this:Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps
eb535c8df02b177247d83387c9af5093.png
If you’re not sure what ID to use for the products, you can find correct ID within the dropdown menu on the Item Product field. For example:
d8bb58b43fbdadd879b1c0c43e01b99b.png

That should then allow the Zap to create an invoice with multiple line-items.

Can you give that a go and confirm whether that adds the invoice correctly?