Question

Create Less Annoying CRM Pipeline attached to new contact from YouCanBookMe

• 11 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi. I have a YouCanBookMe (YCBM) form that I would like to turn into a Less Annoying CRM (LACRM) pipeline. I am able to create Zaps that take the information from the form and add it to my LACRM contacts. However, to connect to a pipeline, the pipeline has to be connected to a contact. I don’t want to connect to an existing contact, necessarily, but rather the contacts in the form. Ideally, I would like to do them as 3 separate events, because this is the only thing I am currently using Zapier for, so I would prefer not to start paying for features I can’t use at the moment. Any ideas would be appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Conflict Solver Hey there! So from the excellent description of this use case above, I’m gathering that you want to see if you can make this Zap happen without it being multi-step? I’d like to see what we can do. 

Have you tried using:

New Booking Trigger  (YouCanBookMe)

Create Contact Action (LACRM)

Am I understanding correctly? I believe what needs to take place here is simply proper mapping of fields. 

Userlevel 1

I did that, and was able to send the contact that way. The problem is that the pipeline is asking me to pick a contact that is already in the CRM, when the contact is being brought in at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Conflict Solver Are you able to provide a screenshot of what you are seeing? Of course omitting any personal or identifying information. It would be incredibly helpful for me to follow along and troubleshoot. I believe, based on what you are describing, is that you are seeing a test sample pulled in for the dynamic dropdown value, to which, it is just showing you an example on what information will be pulled over. 

Ex: 

Name: Jane Doe [Dynamic Value] 

What my Zap will pull over will simply be the ‘Name’ value, every time it receives new data. 

Userlevel 1

The problem is in the top field in the screenshot. If I pull the contact from YouCanBookMe, I get the same problem, which is why I tried pulling from the CRM. I am starting to think I need to create a dummy contact and then manually move it, which is obviously not ideal when trying to automate things. Any ideas are appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Conflict Solver!

Reading through your post and Chanelle’s replies, it sounds like what you want to happen is: When you have new booking in YouCanBook.Me (YCBM), create a contact in Less Annoying CRM (LACRM) and add that contact to a pipeline. 

The tricky part is that you want to see if you can do this with two (or more) Zaps, rather than one multistep Zap. The main difficulty is that the contact already needs to exist in LACRM before it can be added to a pipeline. One thing that we’ll need to work around is that the LACRM Create Pipeline Item needs the contact ID, not the contact name. This help doc explains a bit more about adding custom values to dropdown fields

That said, I think we can do this using three Zaps. First, you’ll need to create a Google Sheet for new contacts in LACRM. The sheet needs to have a column for the Contact ID.

Zap 1

1. YCBM - New Booking
  2. LACRM - Create new contact

Zap 2

1. LACRM - New contact
  2. Google Sheets - Create Spreadsheet Row (add contact ID that you’ll get from the New contact trigger)

Zap 3

1. Google Sheets - New or updated spreadsheet row
  2. LACRM - Create Pipeline item (use the contact ID from the sheet as the value for “contact to attach item to”

The downside to this approach is that every time any contact is added in LACRM, it will be added to the Google sheet and therefore trigger the Zap that will create the pipeline item. 

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, Danvers, for that creative solution. Switching to the Contact ID was an important step that I missed (and I am annoyed with myself for not thinking of it myself), so thank you for that! I think your solution is very creative, and I can see how it would work, but I agree that a zap getting triggered to make a pipeline every time I create a contact would be a pretty big downside. I think I am going to make a dummy contact and move it manually until my business gets big enough to warrant paying for an account, at which point the multi-step zaps will be included.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nah, it’s an easy thing to miss. We’re just glad you came to the community for help! 

Keep us posted with any other questions in the meantime, @Conflict Solver - always happy to help. 🤗