Best answer

Create Document from Template in Google Docs - missing template in dropdown

• 17 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everybody,

I need help for my zap : my trigger is a new entry in typeform and my action is “Create Document from Template in Google Docs”. I have already create a document in Google Doc which contains placeholders like {{name}} or {{date}} etc. 

The problem is : I cannot find my Doc in the section “Template document” (“document sans titre” is not the right template, and I don’t even know which doc is that...) : 

I’m using a classic google drive account (not Workspace), si I think it is impossible for me to create a Template”, but I’ve seen in many topics that it could be possible to manage this step even with a classic google account. 

I’ve also tried to add a “search step” but the doc cannont be found… I have also tried to search the doc with th ID that can be found in the URL (between red lines) :

The worst in this situation : I have already successfully done similar zap, so I went back to it to find how did I do, and when I’ve clicked on the “Template Document” section, the name of my template vanished and now it is impossible to find it anymore. So this zap is now broken ^^

Does someone have an idea to help me ?

Thank you 

Franck 

icon

Best answer by Bezufranck 17 June 2021, 21:18

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Bezufranck,

Have you tried this: 

Also you can copy your template document to the upmost/root folder of your Google drive and see if it appears. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your answer @robschmidt , actually I had already checked this topic, but as I said : adding the ID of the doc (that can be found in the URL) doesn’t work : 

In this topic, people generally talk about creating a template with Google Workspace, but I only want to use a Goodle Drive classic account…

So I am still stuck…

Do you have another idea ? 

Thanks a lot

Franck

Userlevel 1

By the way, I’ve also tried to “copy my template document to the upmost/root folder of your Google drive”, but it doesn’t work either...

Userlevel 1

Update : I found a solution, here it is : 

When creating the Google Doc template, you don’t just need to create a doc which contains things like {{that}} or {{this}} (placeholders), but the file you are creating MUST have been created from a Google Template. You go for “New doc”, then “from template”, then if you don’t want to use this particular template, you select the whole doc (ctrl+A) then erase and copy/paste the doc you wanted to use as a template. So Zap will recognize it as an official Google Template. 

I hope this solution will help some of you who are stuck just like I was. 

See you

Franck