Question

Create copy of file and add to multiple Google Drive folders

• 11 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello - I have a parent folder called “CLIENTS” with 50+ specific client folders inside. I’m looking for a way to automatically add a Google Sheet inside each one of those client folders. I have a Zap set up to do this with any “new folders” added but I can’t seem to find a workaround to add a file to existing folders...

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey there @abb4455 - 

You can try setting up a multi-step Zap to achieve this.

You'll create a Zap that triggers on a regular schedule (like daily) and checks for folders inside the CLIENTS parent folder that have been modified within a certain timeframe (like the last 24 hours). For each qualifying folder, the Zap will create a new Google Sheet inside that folder.

To set this up, you'll start by using the Schedule by Zapier trigger to set the frequency of the Zap. From there, you'll use the Google Drive action to list the folders inside the CLIENTS parent folder, and use the Google Sheets action to create a new spreadsheet in each qualifying folder.

Please note that you'll need to have the necessary permissions to add files to the existing client folders for this approach to work. Let me know you have questions!

How do I “list the folders inside the CLIENTS parent folder”? Right now it only gives me the option to add a file to the CLIENTS folder but not inside the individual client folders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @abb4455! Great question - for nested folders you’ll likely need to use the Folder ID’s.

Here’s a similar question here:

and a Google help doc on finding the Folder ID

I hope some of this helps! 🙂