Best answer

Create and Share a folder with a link (Dropbox)

• 19 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi everyone👋

I’m working on something for a client and I’m close to completion but the part I figured would be straight forward is not proving so :( as is usually the case.

I have a record in Airtable as a trigger, I want to create a folder in Dropbox with the Client name and then create a shared link for the client to drop a file in. 

I can create the file but the option to create a shared link fails. Now, it does say that its for a shared “File” and not a folder so this may be the issue but I just need a way to create and share a folder for the client to upload. 

Any one have any idea’s please? 

Cheers 

icon

Best answer by ikbelkirasan 26 November 2020, 16:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Action: Dropbox - Create Folder

Action: Dropbox - Find Folder

This will return a “Share Link” that you can save that Share Link back into Airtable on the record with an action (Airtable - Update Record) or perform a different action in the Zap to send the Share Link to the recipient (e.g. via email).

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks, those are the 2 actions I took but received the error in the screenshot

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’d need to see screenshots of how each Zap step is configured to be able to troubleshoot further.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Currently Jason, perhaps it has to do with the user permissions in Dropbox?

Userlevel 1

I’m the sole owner and can create the folder, just can’t share. I’ll record a small video and post later to demonstrate so you can find my glaring mistake 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I’m the sole owner and can create the folder, just can’t share. I’ll record a small video and post later to demonstrate so you can find my glaring mistake 😁

Please do! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Currently Jason That error is described in the API documentation as follows:

The given settings are invalid (for example, all attributes of the SharedLinkSettings are empty, the requested visibility is RequestedVisibility.password but the SharedLinkSettings.link_password is missing, SharedLinkSettings.expires is set to the past, etc.).

Userlevel 1

Thanks, everyone. I discovered the Dropbox  “File Request” feature and used the API. This will create the folder and then send a request to the chosen recipient to upload to that folder without giving them access.  Just what I needed.