Best answer

Create a new row in Google Sheet and add 1 to a cell from the previous row's value in cell

• 9 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey guys,

I’m hoping to get help from people more experienced than me. 

What I’m trying to achieve with my Zap in a simplified step by step:

1. Someone submits a Google Form

2. Add data from the form to a new row in the Sheet

3. Update the request number +1 to the previous request number

I don’t know how to get the request number from the already existing last row at the moment of creating a new row. I can’t look up the spreadsheet because I don’t have any value that I can input because none of them are known in advance.

Request # Date of request Full name Email Sample column
1 6/30/2021 18:46:38 Sample Name sample@email.com  
2 6/30/2021 22:25:28 Sample Name 2 sample@email.com  
3 6/30/2021 22:32:48 Sample Name 3

sample@email.com

The number in Column 1 would need to go +1 every time a new row is created. Should I use a formula for that? I’m not familiar with them though. 

Sorry if there is an answer for this already but I really tried to look for it and wasn’t able to.  

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 12 July 2021, 15:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @LukaBazooka 

Assuming the request # will always be 1 less than the newly created row. When you create the row you could put in the formula =Row()-1 which would give the value of the row created minus 1

if the above won’t work, you could add a column to act as a look up column that always has a static value in it once a row is created. Then you can look up the last row. There are a few discussions on this: 

​​​​​​

Userlevel 1

Thanks @GetUWired !

Both of them suggestions were my fallback solutions if nothing else would work or there wouldn’t be other solutions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@LukaBazooka 

I did some more digging and did find a formula for you to use! You can use the Index() formula to reference columns by location. So if Request # is in Column A you could use the following formula in your zap. 
=Index(A:A,Row()-1,1)+1

Userlevel 1

@LukaBazooka 

I did some more digging and did find a formula for you to use! You can use the Index() formula to reference columns by location. So if Request # is in Column A you could use the following formula in your zap. 
=Index(A:A,Row()-1,1)+1

This is it! Thank you very much 🙏✌👍