Question

Count number of items in a notion database matching a certain string

• 23 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have multiple items in a notion db with same ‘name’ field. I new one is added everytime this person does something. i want zapier to count how many their are and tell me.

possible?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @chriswright 

Good question.

Help us have a better understand by providing more context with real examples, thanks. (screenshots are helpful)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @chriswright! I wanted to pop in and see how you were doing with this?

As Troy mentioned we’d love to dig into this with you - we just need a few more details. Sometimes it helps to phrase your workflow in the context of "When this [trigger] happens in xxx app, do that [action] in Notion." Any screenshots you can share (with any personal detailed removed) of what you currently have are always super helpful too. 🙂

I also wanted to share this awesome article my teammate Danvers wrote up on ways to work through whether Zapier can help with your workflow:

I hope some of this helps! 🧡

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, sorry late coming back to this. 

I have a notion table.  new row is added automatically when a person does one of the following:

• Opens an email I have sent them
  • Connect with me on LinkedIn
  • Visits our website

It is essentially a log of all the ‘digital touchpoints’ a client has with us. See screenshot.

I want a Zap to do following:

When new row in notion table, check if this person already exists and then count total number of times they in the table.

First part is easy. I can trigger on new row, and even find if it exists already.

It is counting how many times Asif, for example, appears in total.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @chriswright 

Generally Zaps work on a per record basis, meaning a single record’s data.

Some Zaps have the ability to handle line items, but generally those are limited to a max # of results due to pagination in an app’s API.

That means you’ll likely need to use the Notion API: https://developers.notion.com/reference

You can try using the API Request Zap action.