Best answer

Copy and rename Google drive folders and files to another folder

• 25 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Basically, we want to automate a backup process using Google drive.

The process is that every Sunday, we create a subfolder in our main BACKUP folder and rename that with the date today + “BACKUP” (so like “02-25-2022 BACKUP”). We then copy certain folders (including their subfolders and files) to this backup subfolder, and suffix the “02-25-2022 BACKUP” in the folder or filename (So “Testfile” becomes “Testfile - 02-25-2022 BACKUP” and “TestFolder” becomes “Testfolder - 02-25-2022 BACKUP”.

And that’s about it. The problem is our files that need to be backed up are increasing, and doing the process above is becoming tedious.

We scanned Zapier’s capability and it seems it can only copy files (not folders and subfolders). And it seems it can only copy one file at a time.

Did anyone perhaps tried doing the same thing, and provide guidance? Or will this involve some higher form of development/programming?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 3 March 2022, 21:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VAJordz 

Q: Or will this involve some higher form of development/programming?

A: This involve some higher form of development/programming, possibly using the GDrive API: https://developers.google.com/drive

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, thanks for the response. I figured this is the case. Hopefully Zapier would look into this and add up more functionalities. Anyhow, I guess we’ll be looking at Google’s App Script first considering that all works are within their environment with no external apps involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VAJordz 

FYI: Most apps on Zapier are built and maintained by the app developers themselves, altho I’m unsure whether Google or Zapier owns the GDrive integration.

Feedback and feature requests can be submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out, @VAJordz

I took a quick peek at Google Drive’s developer docs, specifically the “Manage files and folders” section, and full transparency, it doesn’t appear their API supports copying of folders.

It would be cool to hear if anyone has found any workarounds for this though! If there are, as Troy mentioned, it may involve some type of custom integration. If you’re interested in going that route, hiring a Zapier Expert could be a solid resource! 🙂