Best answer

Converting a table into Google Sheet or Excel into Google Drive

• 10 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, I am very new and not technical at all. However I am intrigued by Zapier, and believe that it might be able to solve my daily (manual) routine of converting a table from a daily Gmail I received to a Google Sheet/Excel. I have tried a few ways but the closes it gave me is a file name in the Google Drive. I think I failed at Identifying Data?

I do not know what to input for:

1. Spreadsheet Containing the Worksheet to Copy (required)
  2. Worksheet to Copy (required)

and the email content looks like this below:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you.

P.s. I only have a free version right now as I have just started. 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 10 May 2023, 16:53

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Francis H, welcome to the Community and to Zapier!

The copy worksheet action isn’t what you’re looking for in this case because it copies an existing Google Sheet. What we need to do is find a way to get the data from the email into Google sheets. 

The first big question is how we’ll get the content of the email into a format that’s readable for another app. Do you know if the table in the email is an image or if it’s made using html? If you’re not sure, can you highlight the text and copy it, or does clicking on it select the whole thing? Do you also get the table as an attachment on the email, like a csv file? 

If you don’t currently get the table as an attachment, do you know if ThinkMarkets will send it as an attachment rather than as text in the email? When we know what format the table’s in, or when we can get it into a helpful format, we can look at the next steps to getting it into a Google Sheet :) 

Hi Danvers,

I tried highlighting the whole table in the email, and I can easily copy that into an Excel, and it does retain the table formatting as well.

Currently, there is no option to get the table as an attachment...so unfortunately I am stuck with the manual copy and paste for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @Francis H - I’ve been noodling about this one for this morning. 

Unfortunately without that attachment we’re a bit limited as to what we can easily suggest. What I would recommend doing if you’re interested in considering reaching out to a Zapier Expert who may be able to help with a code step to export the data and manually paste it. 

Thanks for letting us know and if you have any other questions feel free to reach out any time :] 

-Rachael

Thanks for the effort, Rachael. I’ll try to contact Zapier Expert.