Question

Connecting Typeform entry to Google Chat Spaces

• 23 January 2024
  • 1 reply

**Please do not suggest this article: https://zapier.com/blog/gmail-message-to-hangouts-chat/  it does not contain information helpful to my circumstance (at least not that I could find).

I operate communications with my clients through Google Workspace. I’d like to set up a way for them to connect with me over Chat when they need to. I also created a “Space” within Google Chat to facilitate this. 

Ideally the process would look like this:

1. Client registers for chat (First Name, Email), using a Typeform form
  2. Zapier uses the Typeform to add name and email to the Space I created in Chat
  3. Client can begin chatting with me within said Space

In my Zap so far, I’ve selected the Typeform I want to use, but the next step is where things start to go awry. If I select Google Chat as the next action step, Zapier does not list the Space I created within the list of “Hangout Chat Rooms”, which leads me to think that maybe Google Chat is not the correct app to choose for this step.

So many of Google’s terms overlap, it’s difficult to know. I don’t see a Google Spaces app, and do not want these clients to have access to my Google Workspace Admin. 

Is this something that can be done? Have you had success setting it up? How did you do it?

Or is working in Google Workspace the limiting factor (because if thats the case, I can nix this idea altogether, as I need to keep that information private).

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @WellRoots, welcome to the Community! 🎉

Hmm, since it’s not able to see the space then what you’d ideally need is a search action to search for it’s ID. That would allow you to manually select it using the Custom value option but, I can’t see any such action available for the Google Chat app. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team here to ask that they open up a feature request to have a search action added that would allow you to search for a space. I did spot that there’s an existing feature request open on with the Google Chat app for the ability to be able to add new members to Google Chat, so I’ve added your vote for that. Can’t make any promises as to when that might become available but we’ll be sure to let you know once it is!

In the meantime, do you manually send the client a link to fill out the Typeform after you’ve created the space? 

If so, I wonder if it would be possible to to send them a link to that Typeform which would prefill a hidden field with the ID of the space you just created. My thinking here is that if you send them a link which would prefill that hidden field with the ID then you could have a Zap that triggers from the Typeform submission which would then have the ID is needs (see Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps guide for details) in order for you to select the correct space in the Create Message action. Do you think that could work?

In terms of adding them to the space perhaps you might be able to use a Webhooks by Zapier action to make an API request to Google Chat’s API? I’ve not tested it out myself but it looks as though they’ve got a spaces.members.create endpoint that you could use for this. And if you’re not able to prefill the Typeform form perhaps you could use Google’s spaces.get API endpoint to search for the space and obtain it’s ID? Webooks are a bit more advanced so may not be an ideal solution but thought I’d suggest it in case it helps. If it’s something you’d be interested in giving a try I’d recommend checking out our Send webhooks in Zaps guide for more details on how to set up webhooks actions in a Zap.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!