Question

Concatenate two text fields in ClickUp

• 13 February 2023
  • 2 replies

I’ve tried a few thing with no luck and I thought someone here might have an idea for me. 

Goal: When a new task is created in a specific ClickUp list, update the task name: Original Task Name + the first 25 characters of the description. 

Example:

A new task is created that looks like this

Task Name: SBA

Task Description: Updates to the banner of the site need to reflect the attached email 

I’d like a way to automatically update it to:

Task Name: SBA Updates to the banner of the si

Task Description: Updates to the banner of the site need to reflect the attached email 

I’ve looked at the Formatter but I’m not having luck with what I’ve tried. I’m hoping someone here knows how to do this. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ErinL 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: ClickUp - New Task
  2. Action: Formatter > Text > Truncate
  3. Action: ClickUp - Update Task

If you still need help, please provide detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ErinL!

Were you able to give @Troy’s suggestion a try?

In case you need a little more detail on this one, once you’ve used Formatter by Zapier to truncate the text of the task description to 25 characters, you need to add both the existing title and the Formatter output in the update task step.

Here are a few more useful pieces of info:

• The Formatter step is what will cut the description down to 25 characters. 
  • In the Update task step, use the task ID from the New task trigger as a custom value to let the Zap know which task to update. 
  • In the title field, add the title from the trigger data and add the output of the Formatter step in the same field. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!