Best answer

Combine/Join 2 tables

• 17 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Guys 
Does anyone know, if it’s possible to combine/join data from two difference tables directly through Zapier? Or will it require that I create a custom table in my database, where I combine the tables and make the reqeust to that? 
So the case are this: I’m running a “3 offer” platform 

1. When a new task is created (in table A “Tasks”) I make a Zapp to slack 
  2. When a task receives a new offer/bid (in table B “Bids”), I make a Zapp to slack 

I would like to create a thread pr task and each bid recieved as replies to the related task thread, is it possbile?

Thanks!

Benjamin 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 20 March 2020, 20:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BenjaminOakshield  Could I ask where you’re storing your tables - which app? That will help us to understand where to start 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @Danvers 

Sure! I use SQL Server, and Zapier Filter and Slack :

Userlevel 1

Hi @Danvers 

Sure! I use SQL Server, and Zapier Filter and Slack :

Hi @Danvers 

Is this the information you requested? Sorry for not being clear about that, when creating the post :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BenjaminOakshield - Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this!

This is definitely possible, but the key piece is going to be storing the Slack Thread timestamp somewhere so that when people bid, you know which thread to add it to. With the Slack action Send Channel Message you can choose to add the message to a thread:

So for Zap that sends tasks to Slack, you’ll want to add an action that either adds the timestamp to your other table somewhere, or have a central database that records the tasks with the Slack Timestamps that you can search when you get bids. 

Then for your second Zap, when you get bids, you’ll need to grab that timestamp and use it as a custom value in the Thread field in the Slack step. 

Does that all makes sense? Let me know if you have any questions!

@Danvers and others. Is it not possible to calculate/use you zap ts (timestamp) based on you own data and use this when linking bid together with tasks later?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @JanFlintStone When you say that you’d like to use your own data, what exactly do you mean here?

You can create a timestamp in a Zap (by typing {{zap_meta_human_now}} into a field), but the slack timestamp is needed to link a reply in Slack to the original thread - the timestamp field from Slack is like a unique ID that identifies that specific thread, rather than just a timestamp. I hope that makes sense!