Question

Changing wording (year vs years) based on amount

Hi there! I’m using a Zap to automate sending work anniversary messages to a Slack channel, based on an employee’s start date in Airtable.

Currently, the Zap is quite simple. The trigger is when a record in Airtable hits a specific “birthday” view. We’re using a few calculations in Airtable to determine tenure (e.g. 1 year or 3 years) and using this along with employee name to create a congratulatory message with the action being send a DM on Slack.

I’m curious if it is possible to determine whether the amount is singular or multiple and change the message such as “Congrats on 1 year” or “Congrats on 3 years.”

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @timmyo 

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your interest in Zapier.

You want to personalize the Slack message depending on the employee's tenure. Is that correct?

@Brem Hey there! That’s correct. I’m wondering if I can introduce a check or variable that determines whether the word “year” or “years” should be used, pending if it’s one year or more.

The action in the Zap is writing the Slack message with fixed text, and grabbing the tenure (amount of years worked) from a field in the Airtable, and looks something like this:

Happy workiversary {{Employee Name}}, congrats on {{tenure}} years with the company!

Here’s the Zap format:
1. Trigger: Updated record in Airtable
2. Action: Send Channel Message in Slack

Hopefully this clarifies. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @timmyo! Thanks for reaching out in community - I love this workflow! 🎂

Hmm, I wonder if you could use Paths by Zapier for this? So if maybe if (amount of years worked) = 1 then use this verbiage. If (amount of years worked) >1 use this. You can also check out this help doc for a bit more insight on how Paths works.

Do you think that could work? Let us know. 🙂