Question

Can Zaps run on existing contacts in Pipedrive?

• 29 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi, I am trying to set up a birthday greeting automation flow, which uses a Person Matching filter in Pipedrive based on if the person’s birthday is today. Then an email is send through Gmail and the date is updated in Pipedrive for the next year. The workflow performs as expected in the testing stage, but when I actually turn it on, it doesn’t find any contacts matching the criteria, although there are some. My assumption was that somehow the filter is not working, although when I apply it in Pipedrive, it is performing correctly.  

I did some additional testing and if I delete and then reinsert a contact in Pipedrive, it triggers the workflow, so I think it is working only for newly added contacts. Is there a way to trigger the workflow for existing contacts as well?

For this to work, I need the Zap to be checking daily if there is a contact matching the criteria and if so to start the Zap process.

I will be grateful if someone can share experience on the topic. Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @sunny_benny 

Zaps work while ON for new data that matches the Zap trigger event/conditions.

It may be that the Zap trigger will find new records tomorrow when Pipedrive Contacts enter the filter.

NOTE: Zap triggers have built in deduplication, so it may be that next year the same contact won’t retrigger the Zap because they will have already been seen in the Zap trigger.

Hi @sunny_benny 

Zaps work while ON for new data that matches the Zap trigger event/conditions.

It may be that the Zap trigger will find new records tomorrow when Pipedrive Contacts enter the filter.

NOTE: Zap triggers have built in deduplication, so it may be that next year the same contact won’t retrigger the Zap because they will have already been seen in the Zap trigger.

Hi Troy, thanks for the reply.

So if I understand correctly you think that if I set the Zap on and then insert a new contact with a birthday date for example 3.02 it will trigger the Zap on 3.02, right? This means that somehow the checking/filtering is done daily, correct?

What I actually tested was adding a new contact with a birthday date on the day and it worked. But on the second thought, if the date is following today the only way it would work is if the filtering is triggered daily, otherwise it will be done only once when inserting the new contacts and if the birthday date is not equal today it will skip the contact and never check again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sunny_benny 

The Zap trigger for Pipedrive Person Matching Filter is scheduled.

Zap triggers that are scheduled depend on your Zapier plan.

Meaning it can take from 1-15 minutes to fire when new data is detected.

If you turn your Zap ON today and have a Person with a Birthday that is tomorrow, then it should trigger the Zap tomorrow.

NOTE: Time Zone settings in the apps involved may impact when the Zap fires.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@sunny_benny, further to what Troy mentioned regarding deduplication, it's key to understand that the Pipedrive ‘Person Matching Filter’ in Zapier will only trigger once. So, if a person record is added to that filter a second time, the zap won't trigger again.

I'd suggest using a 'Schedule by Zapier' trigger to pull all person records in the filter via a webhook. You can then utilize 'Looping by Zapier' to iterate over all person records in the filter. This method is a bit more complex and does require some understanding of APIs. If you encounter any hurdles, our team, certified in both Pipedrive and Zapier, is here to assist.

@sunny_benny

The Zap trigger for Pipedrive Person Matching Filter is scheduled.

Zap triggers that are scheduled depend on your Zapier plan.

Meaning it can take from 1-15 minutes to fire when new data is detected.

If you turn your Zap ON today and have a Person with a Birthday that is tomorrow, then it should trigger the Zap tomorrow.

NOTE: Time Zone settings in the apps involved may impact when the Zap fires.

Hi Troy,

Thanks! Yes, I know it can take 1-15 minutes, but it is required to have new data to be triggered. So for the birthdays it won’t be effective at all, since you can’t re-upload / update all contacts everyday. Or is it working differently? Would it be able to schedule the greeting in the following days, depending on the marked birthday date?

@sunny_benny, further to what Troy mentioned regarding deduplication, it's key to understand that the Pipedrive ‘Person Matching Filter’ in Zapier will only trigger once. So, if a person record is added to that filter a second time, the zap won't trigger again.

I'd suggest using a 'Schedule by Zapier' trigger to pull all person records in the filter via a webhook. You can then utilize 'Looping by Zapier' to iterate over all person records in the filter. This method is a bit more complex and does require some understanding of APIs. If you encounter any hurdles, our team, certified in both Pipedrive and Zapier, is here to assist.

Hi Nate,

Thanks, that helps. So I suppose it will work only to greet the contacts once, no matter the date is updated for the same time next year?

I will try the methods you suggest and contact the team if any assistance is needed. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi Nate,

Thanks, that helps. So I suppose it will work only to greet the contacts once, no matter the date is updated for the same time next year?

I will try the methods you suggest and contact the team if any assistance is needed. Thanks!

Correct!