Best answer

Can Zapier Capture data from a custom Iframe?

• 24 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

So my company is looking into getting a custom internet speedtest developed by another 3rd party company called Ookla, https://www.speedtest.net/ 

They say we can get it in an iFrame that we can then embed into our form/ page. So we use zapier to capture the form data on our site to send to Zendesk Sell. 

So my Question then is there any tools/ features that zapier has that would let us capture data from a custom coded 3rd party iFrame from this Ookla Speedtest company (eg. speedtest results)? Is this type of request even possible with zapier?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 31 August 2020, 10:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @CoolGuy , for custom applications you will need a custom integration. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @CoolGuy , for custom applications you will need a custom integration. 

and how would i go about making a custom integration? is there any developer documents to help? in your opinion would this be a lot of work to get this functional with Zapier?  Would it be easier if I had this ‘speedtest’ iframe functional first?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @CoolGuy It depends on exactly what you’re trying to do here. 

Do you want the results of the test to go straight from Ookla to Zendesk sell, or will folks use the speed test to add the result into the form that’s submitted on your webste, and you want the form to go to Zendesk sell?

If it’s the first one then that will be more tricky and will probably need you to build a custom integration. For that to be possible, Ookla needs to have an API that you can connect to. You can find more info about building an integration with Zapier here: Zapier platform

If you have a form on your site and you want the information in that form to go to Zendesk sell then that might be easier. IT depend son what happens when folks submit the form. For example, if the form sends a webhook, you can use that as a trigger for a Zap and get the information in the form to Zendesk that way. If the form is a powered by an app that integrates with Zapier already (eg typeform, etc) then it’s even easier to get the info to Zapier and onto Zendesk. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @CoolGuy It depends on exactly what you’re trying to do here. 

Do you want the results of the test to go straight from Ookla to Zendesk sell, or will folks use the speed test to add the result into the form that’s submitted on your webste, and you want the form to go to Zendesk sell?

If it’s the first one then that will be more tricky and will probably need you to build a custom integration. For that to be possible, Ookla needs to have an API that you can connect to. You can find more info about building an integration with Zapier here: Zapier platform

If you have a form on your site and you want the information in that form to go to Zendesk sell then that might be easier. IT depend son what happens when folks submit the form. For example, if the form sends a webhook, you can use that as a trigger for a Zap and get the information in the form to Zendesk that way. If the form is a powered by an app that integrates with Zapier already (eg typeform, etc) then it’s even easier to get the info to Zapier and onto Zendesk. 

So currently on the site we have alot of forms using a small plugins for webhooks, zapier then gets the data from whatever particular webhook and then sends the data onto Zendesk Sell.

The Ideal process would be a normal form that also has this Ookla SpeedTest in the form, then fill out the form, do the speedtest, then when submitting the form zapier is able to capture all the normal form data and also the results from the Ookla SpeedTest in the same form and then send all the data over to zendesk sell.

From the sounds of it doing a custom integration could be tricky and potentially not worth it. I don’t think this small webhooks plugin can capture the Ookla SpeedTest iFrame data as its not built to do this.

I’m just curious what options are left and how plausible this might be.

Thanks for replyingg.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmm..

Personally I’m not aware of any apps that can scrape an iframe and pull the information that’s presented in it, so unless Ookla can pass the info in another way then I don’t think that you could do this automatically. The only workaround I can think would be to have the folks that fill in the form run the test and then manually enter the results into the form field.

Userlevel 1

Hmm..

Personally I’m not aware of any apps that can scrape an iframe and pull the information that’s presented in it, so unless Ookla can pass the info in another way then I don’t think that you could do this automatically. The only workaround I can think would be to have the folks that fill in the form run the test and then manually enter the results into the form field.

ye thats an idea but i feel that would be a poor user experience 

is it possible to have to webhooks going into 1 zap and then the zap has data from both webhooks?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Is it possible to have to webhooks going into 1 zap and then the zap has data from both webhooks?

Yes, you could do this by having two different Zaps that use the different webhooks as triggers. For one of them, you’d need to add a step that would store the information so that the other Zap could find it and use it. You could use a third party app like Google Sheets or Airtable to do that, or you can use Storage by Zapier. If you go with an app like Google Sheets, you’ll need to store a unique piece of info (like the user’s name) in the row so that you can find it in your other Zap. If you use Storage by Zapier you could use that info as the key for storage so that you can use it in a release digest step.