Best answer

Can you update more than just the status field in a Jira issue?

• 22 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Integration Type: Jira to Azure DevOps

Is it possible to update a field other then Status when performing the Jira Update action?  It is the only field that appears in the Setup.  I am trying to stop Zapier from creating duplicates when I create a work item on a Jira issue update.  My solution is to create a custom field that I can set the value to a specific value after the work item is created.  That way I can do a check for the updated value and avoid creating a duplicate every time the sync happens.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 24 August 2022, 00:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @ChadUnbehaun 

Just with Jira app in Zapier, you can only update the status of an issue. However, you can use “Webhook by Zapier” to make API request to Jira in order to make update other than status.

To prevent duplication, you can use “Find Issue” to search an issue whether it exists. Alternatively, you can store the issues ID and corresponding data in Azure in a google sheet, so that you can check whether it exists or not.

Userlevel 1

Thanks!  So if I understand this, Zapier does not keep track of the metadata associate with Jira or DevOps issues such that Zapier can determine if a particular field has changed.  To do this, the user has to keep track of the field values they are interested in to check to see if something has changed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just wanted to follow up here to note add that there’s an existing feature request to have the ability to update custom fields when using the Update Issue action in Jira. I’ve added @ChadUnbehaun’s vote to this and we’ll be in touch by email once that’s possible.

So if I understand this, Zapier does not keep track of the metadata associate with Jira or DevOps issues such that Zapier can determine if a particular field has changed

In some cases, Zapier does keep track of changes. For example, with polling triggers Zapier stores an identifier for each item to determine whether the items it finds should be triggered on. You can find out more about this here: Data deduplication in Zaps

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey friends! 👋🏽 I wanted to pop in and update that custom fields are now available in the “Create/Update Issues” actions! Woohoo! 🎉