Best answer

Can you receive notification when a zap fails due to it being turned off during execution?

• 25 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello everyone

I’ve had the issue that when updating a Zap (turning it off and on again) I may turn it off when it is running and executing tasks. This makes tasks fail with error “Zap turned off during execution” but unlike the other regular Zap failures, I do not receive an email notification of it. So, is there a way to activate an email notification for when a Zap fails because it was turned off during execution?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by AeroZap 3 May 2022, 17:31

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AeroZap 

Good question.

Try using the Zapier Manager app: https://zapier.com/apps/zapier-manager/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Hello @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for the fast response. I see in Zapier Manager the trigger named “New Zap Error” which is says:

Triggers when a Zap in your account encounters an error.

Would this also trigger when the reason for the failure is because the Zap was turned off during execution? I think this one is more appropriate for my scenario than the “Zap Turned Off” trigger, since I’m only interested when tasks throw an error because the Zap was turned off while it was running.

I created a test Zap with the “New Zap Error” trigger and a filter that only continues if the message of the error contains the word “execution” to see if I’m able to do a catch-all for when this happens. I find it a bit difficult to test though, since timing a zap turn off with its execution seems tricky. Do you know of an easier way to test this particular error?

Either way, I’ll post back and confirm if I got this method to work.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AeroZap 

In your Zapier account Settings there are also email notifications:

Hello @Troy Tessalone 

My setting on the “Send Alerts on Failed Action” is set to “Always” which means I always receive an email notification when an action fails. However, these notifications do not seem to work when an action fails because the Zap was turned off mid-execution (the actions fail with a “Zap was turned off while executing” message), which is relatively rare but I still would like to get notified. This is why I’m trying to find a workaround.

Hopefully the Zapier Manager’s New Zap Error trigger will catch these errors.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @AeroZap! Thanks for reaching out. I just wanted to check and see if you were able to get this working with the  Zapier Manager? 

If you haven’t yet, I might recommend double checking your email settings look like this when you do to make sure you’re always getting those emails:

Keep us posted how this works out for you!

Hello @christina.d 

I’ve tested this and can confirm that neither the account’s email settings nor Zapier Manager identify the error “Task was stopped because its Zap was turned off during its execution.” as a failed task action and therefore does not send an email or trigger Zapier Manager Zaps. Below example screenshot of this error:

I would like to find a way to get notified when this error happens but there doesn’t seem to be any built-in way to do this.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for double checking @AeroZap.

I’d actually recommend opening a ticket with my friends in support at this point. It’s possible this is related to a bug with Zapier Manager however there’s a few extra steps they’ll need to dig into in order to confirm that for us. Feel free to link them directly to this community post as well so they’ll know what troubleshooting steps you’ve already taken! 

Please keep us posted on your findings!

@christina.d 

I reported the issue to Zapier Support and they confirmed it’s an open bug they’ve identified with Zapier Manager and are working on a fix. I was not given a timeframe of when it will be fixed but when I get notified I’ll post an update here.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, I’m sorry to hear that @AeroZap. 😣 Thanks so much for closing the loop here though. It’s super appreciated!

Once a fix is merged we’ll be sure to update the thread as well for anyone else who may be following along.