Question

Can we make "Return from Sub-zap" optional for one-way sub-zap?

• 12 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Sometimes we just need a one-way sub-zap which does not return any value, can we make that “Return from Sub-zap” action optional, to save one step?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yes, you can use Filter by Zapier for this.

Yes, you can use Filter by Zapier for this.

Sorry, but I didn’t get it.

How could “Filter by Zapier” help eliminate the “Return from Sub-zap” step?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Ok let me explain you. 

Currently your last action is return from sub Zap. 

What you want to do is when a value is missing do not return value via Sub Zapier. 

If you add a 2nd last action "Filter by Zapier". When the value exists then only return from sub Zap will execute.Now If the value does not exist, return value action will not execute, this will save your task usage. 

What you want to do is when a value is missing do not return value via Sub Zapier. 

Sorry, I didn’t expressed my situation clearly.

What I want to do is to remove the “Return from Sub-zap” step completely, as my Zapier plan has a limit of 3 steps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Oasis Feng,

In most programming environments, subroutines or "sub-zaps" as you've referred to them, do not necessarily need to return a value. In some cases, they are used simply to perform an action. However, whether or not the "Return from Sub-zap" action is optional largely depends on the specific programming environment or language you are using.

In some cases, not explicitly defining a return could lead to unexpected behavior or errors. If the system you are using requires a return statement, but you do not wish to return a value, you can often return a null value or similar to meet the requirement without passing any actual data.

Hi @Oasis Feng,

In most programming environments, subroutines or "sub-zaps" as you've referred to them, do not necessarily need to return a value. In some cases, they are used simply to perform an action. However, whether or not the "Return from Sub-zap" action is optional largely depends on the specific programming environment or language you are using.

In some cases, not explicitly defining a return could lead to unexpected behavior or errors. If the system you are using requires a return statement, but you do not wish to return a value, you can often return a null value or similar to meet the requirement without passing any actual data.

Thanks for the explanation!

As a software developer, I fully understand your point. Still, as a end-user, if the “Return from Sub-zap” could be omitted, sub-zaps will have much much more potentials under the 3-actions limitation in my current plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Oasis Feng 

If you need to send data to another Zap, you can do so with Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Zap 1

1. Trigger: [APP] - [EVENT]
  2. Action: Webhook - POST

Zap 2

1. Trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
  2. Action: [APP] - [EVENT]