Best answer

Can we enable line items in Xero Invoicing from Salesforce?

• 16 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

We use Salesforce Outbound message to trigger a new Invoice in Xero, is it possible to send child records from Salesforce to generate as Line Items in the Invoice within Xero?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 30 November 2022, 10:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Imran,

I just looked into this for you and it appears that we have an existing feature request for that exact thing. The use case was exactly like yours, trying to get line items into Xero.

I’ve gone ahead and added your vote for it, so if it does get added you’ll be notified via email. 

Userlevel 1

HI imran, Yes this is possible and we have just done it as we are a new Xero customer. You should populate google sheets with your outbound message and then use formatter > utilities> Line Itemiser and then action create xero invoice to populate the Xero invoice with line items. Hope this helps. I have a bigger problem taking Xero Bills back into salesforce custom object and child line item record. Not so easy… 

Cheers

Mark Riley, Xenogenix Ltd

Hi I’m here to double check if I can use custom object (Invoice__c) with Child Object (Booking __c) as LineItem.

i successfully connected with Invoice to Xero (setup was super easy!), however not if Zapier support for the LineItem population.

Userlevel 1

Hi there, 

we used custom objects  for our Invoice and Invoice line item fields.

So there should be no problem using  a flow to populate the concatenated line item fields on the Invoice__c object from your custom child object Booking__c

Note that Zapier line itemiser utility reads the custom concatenated line item fields such as Xero_Line_Item__c, Xero_Qty__c Xero_Description__c Xero_Unit_Price__c  fields etc.. etc which you will have populated on the Invoice__c record. There will be no Xero Integration between your Booking__c record. 

Hope this helps. If you need more information drop me a line at mark.riley@xenogenix.co.uk

Hi @xeno , thanks for your advice. I now understand that comma separated values to be passed from Invoice__c for LineItem in Xero.

I set up concatenated text fields (with comma separated) for Invoice__c.Qty__c, Invoice__c.UnitPrice__c, Invoice__c.Description__c. But it returns “Input string was not in a correct format.“

The data example:

Description: 06928,06929,06930,06931,06932,06933

Quantity 1,1,1,1,1,1

Unit Price. 450.00,450.00,450.00,450.00,450.00,450.00

Do I need to your Zapier formatter before passing to Xero? Or my understanding is wrong?

If any advice, please let me now. @nicksimard 

Hi @xeno @nicksimard , I read this post, and made it work with Formatter > Utilities > Text to LineItem.

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-line-items-in-zaps

Although using 4 formatter nodes (Description, UnitPrice, Qty, LineItem) between Salesforce and Xero, I confirmed the Xero invoice is created with LineItem as I expected.

I just wonder if this is the best practice setup to connect Salesforce and Xero with LineItem?

If any alternative method, please share. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi friends! An email recently went out with instructions on how to get child objects (line items) from parent objects that I wanted share here!

I’ve got good news for you: these children items can be queried by using the Find Record(s) In Salesforce Search action. Specifically, you can follow these step-by-step instructions below and refer to this diagram for how to achieve this:
1. Using the "Find Record(s) In Salesforce" action
2. Setting the "Salesforce Object" field to the object type desired
3. Allow the step to return multiple results
4. Search on the ID field that relates the child object to the parent
5. Provide the ID of the Parent object
6. And this will return the collection of all of the desired Opportunity Product children Line Items.

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if things aren’t working like you expect, or if you run into any other trouble. We’re always here and happy to help!

Hope this helps and happy zapping! ⚡️