Skip to main content

Hey All,

I’ve checked online in other places and on this forum but couldn’t find an answer to this.

My question is:

How do I make it so that when I use GPT4o through the API with Zapier, it will be able to browse the internet?

Some background:

Since the release of the new GPT4o, browsing capabilities have improved. When using ChatGPT (plus) through the regular OpenAI front-end, it will automatically start browsing the internet when I ask it to take a look at a website.

However, when I try to do this through the OpenAI API with Zapier (I use the step “Conversation With ChatGPT”, and then pick model GPT4o), I get the following message:

“I'm a text-based assistant and cannot directly access websites.”

Has anyone managed to fix this yet? I’m not very technical, but willing to try, if necessary.

Bump ;)

Hi there @DaanisAan,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the OpenAI API doesn’t have the ability to browse the internet. I also found this Community page from Open AI that asked a similar question:

https://community.openai.com/t/does-the-openai-api-provide-internet-access-for-web-browsing/696799

You can reach out to our Support Team here to create a feature request on your behalf. 

Hopefully, this helps.

@DaanisAan We have an agent that connects OpenAI to web search and you can use it in flows. Are you looking for something like that?

Yes. Can I integrate it into my regular flows?

Yes you can, can you share with me more about your flow steps? Especially what is before and after the AI step. Thanks!