Best answer

Can't find Google Docs template

Userlevel 3

Hi,

I’m facing an issue with creating a document from a Google Docs Template.

Zapier doesn’t find my template.

When i select where the document should be saved, I can browse my Drive so the connection works.

But I don’t know why it doesn’t find my Template Document.

I precise that my template is created and it’s not just a regular document.

Anyone has met this issue and found a way to fix it?

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by Danvers 4 May 2020, 13:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Remi 

It sounds like you have, but can you double-check you’ve set up the template correctly?

https://zapier.com/learn/how-to/create-google-docs-template/

Userlevel 3

Hi @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu,

Thanks for your answer. 

Yes I’m sure.

See attached the template folder on Google Docs:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Remi 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu !

Userlevel 3

I tried with a standard Gmail account and it works.

But with a Gsuite account it’s still not working :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Remi! Thanks for the update, that gives me a clue as to what’s happening here!

It’s not currently possible to use the dropdown list to select a template that’s in a Team Drive. We do have a feature request open for this and I’ve added you as an interested user. This lets the team know how many folks would like to see this addition and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update.

In the meantime, there may be a workaround that will help. In the Template Document field, select Custom and add the ID of the template in the field. You can find the ID in the url for the document:

Could you give that a go and see if it works?

Userlevel 3

Hi @Danvers,

Thank you for answer.

Actually one of your colleague from support team helped me this morning and fixed my issue.

The solution that worked for me was to select the destination folder where my template were. And as magic the template appeared in the template field.

Then I was able to change the destination folder without causing anymore issues.

I didn’t try to add the ID of my template but it’s good to know that it could work as well.

Userlevel 1

I have never been able to find my templates.

Zapier is quite glitchy with this, the best thing to do is to copy the ID. This works without fail for me.

Userlevel 1

I had this problem as well and put in a step to find the document based on its name. I’m also a GSuites user.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Remi! Thanks for the update, that gives me a clue as to what’s happening here!

It’s not currently possible to use the dropdown list to select a template that’s in a Team Drive. We do have a feature request open for this and I’ve added you as an interested user. This lets the team know how many folks would like to see this addition and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update.

In the meantime, there may be a workaround that will help. In the Template Document field, select Custom and add the ID of the template in the field. You can find the ID in the url for the document:

I have the same problem as the OP (I am not using “team” drive by the way, just my regular google drive associated with my google account)..

But I ALSO cannot perform this workaround, as there is option to add the ID under “custom”. I think the user interface must have changed? Please see screenshot to see what I mean. 

Can somebody please tell me how/where exactly to put  in the document ID for this step? I tried pasting it directly but that didn’t work either.

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update: I think I figured out the solution to the original problem. Maybe will help OP or anybody else. 

I had all of my template documents within another folder (“google templates”) in my google drive/google docs folder. 

I had to take them out of the sub folder and put them in my general google docs root folder.

When the templates are in the root folder pf Google docs zapier can read them. When they are in any sub folder zapier cannot read them.

This makes it disorganized, but at least I can get zapier to read my template docs now, by leaving them in my general root google docs folder. If you put them in any sub folders they will be unreadable. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Remi! Thanks for the update, that gives me a clue as to what’s happening here!

I have the same problem as the OP (I am not using “team” drive by the way, just my regular google drive associated with my google account)..

But I ALSO cannot perform this workaround, as there is option to add the ID under “custom”. I think the user interface must have changed? Please see screenshot to see what I mean. 

Can somebody please tell me how/where exactly to put  in the document ID for this step? I tried pasting it directly but that didn’t work either.

Thanks in advance

Running into the exact same problem. Except for me, everything’s in the root folder

Userlevel 1

And the UI changed, so I don’t know how to add the ID

Userlevel 1

Think I know what I did wrong.

I didn’t actually have any templates! I was just trying to use normal Google Doc files :face_palm_tone1:

Here’s a link to anyone who runs into the same problem as me:

https://www.luhhu.com/blog/fix-a-missing-google-docs-template-in-zapier

https://zapier.com/learn/how-to/create-google-docs-template/

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m running int0 the same problem. The template (I did create a template) doesn’t show up. Entering the ID via “Custom” doesn’t work. Inserting a search step also doesn’t work, as the Find Document step only sees Folders in Root, no Subfolders. And even if i use a folder in Root, the search step doesn’t find a normal Doc in that folder. I’m frustrated :-( Seems the GDoc integration is seriously flawed, or im doing something wrong..

Hi - I ran into this issue recently and found the workaround below to be effective:

I set an additional step to “Find” the template in Google Docs and then used the ID field pulled from the “Find” function in the template step. This seemed to allow Zapier to correctly identify the document every time. I am using a Team Drive, by the way, and it’s works great after adding this step.