Best answer

Can I use Zapier make a login call, receive token, then use that token in a Webhook to POST?

• 24 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I am working with a new vendor that doesn't have many connections. They have an API and said first I need to make a login call then encrypt the token to make further calls. I need to do a simple pass from an Unbounce form (4-5 fields) into this vendor. I've used Webhooks in the past but normally I pass my credentials in the query string. This is the first time I've needed to do multiple calls into an API.

Is there someone here who might be able to help? Or, a blog post you could point me to?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by TheDavidJohnson 25 September 2019, 03:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @jkimber - good seeing you over here from Twitter 😀

Do you have API docs for you vendor? That's going to make it a lot easier for people to advise the best way to do this. For example, knowing how the want the token encrypted will be useful.

Userlevel 1

I do, but it's very long. Also, I'm a marketer and have some knowledge in this space but prefer to have Zapier to the work for me. Hahaha.

We are looking to POST new Leads into their Sales module. I have Context Path, Client Code and Secret Key from the vendor for UAT and production.

If you look at this and realize this is going to be too difficult, let me know. They have other methods for adding leads too. We would just prefer this method since its instant. Option B is an email parse which takes 10-20 minutes.

Again, thanks in advance.

Userlevel 1

Oops, I meant to leave a link to the doc... my guess is that would help too... hahaha..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu9vjomo7z37crr/FranConnect_WebServices_REST_API_v1_13_1.pdf?dl=0

Userlevel 5

Hi @jkimber, I haven't dived fully into the docs for the API you're trying to connect to, but in my experience if you need to handle this kind of authentication to an API, you will need to have an integration between Zapier and the API. If neither Zapier nor the API owner has one built, it's likely possible to put one together.

The authentication flow you're describing ( login -> token -> request ) is very common. Some version of that exists in various forms that are more or less standard (OAuth, API Key, JWT, etc.).

If you would like to discuss a custom integration for this API, let me know and we can set up a time to discuss it. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

While it is possible to do this using the Webhooks with Zapier app, I'd have security concerns about sending the client code and secret key this way.

If you want to go down that route (rather than parsing the emails), as @TheDavidJohnson said, you'd be better off with a custom Zapier app to do the work for you, as it keeps credentials like that encrypted.