Question

Can I use a time range for a google calendar search?

• 3 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello!

I’m writing a Zap which allows google form responses to be automatically added to my google calendar - however I do not want the response to be added if there is already an event occuring within the time provided on the new response.

For example - an event already occurs between 5PM and 10PM on 04/03/2022 and a new response comes in requesting a time between 3PM and 7PM on 04/03/2022. Obviously, thgere is an overlap here and I want this to be found by the search.

How would I do this within the google cal find function? Is there a way a time range can be used in the start / end times? I’ve done this but no luck

Any help is very much appriciated! Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Wizeguy11 

The GCal Find Event actions has fields for Start Time and End Time.

Are you not able to use those fields?

I want to be able to search for any overlap of an event. So not specifically between two times. Any time within two times

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Wizeguy11 

Unlikely the GCal Zap app integration is going to support that type of searching.

You’d have to explore using the GCal API: https://developers.google.com/calendar/api

App APIs can be used in Zaps as actions steps with the Code app or Webhooks app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Wizeguy11 

Try to use the start & end times as Troy suggested populating the times using data from your trigger. i.e in the example you provided start time = 04/03/2022 3PM  & end time = 04/03/2022 7PM (you may need to use some formatting steps or code if the time comes across as “3PM and 7PM on 04/03/2022”.

Then for your search just put a single period which will match any event in Google Calendar. If there is another event within that timeframe it should be found which would indicate that there is some type of overlap. 

Hope that helps!
Tim @GetUWired

The formate doesn’t come across that way, that was just an example, sorry!

So just checking, if an event finishes in between the start and end time provided in the search will it still show this event? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Wizeguy11 , yes that is correct. You are just defining a window of time for Google Calendar to check for events in.