Best answer

Can I update the user role of WordPress from customer to subscriber?

• 23 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Is it possible to create a zap to update the user role of a wordpress user? for example, from customer to subscriber?

icon

Best answer by SamB 23 June 2023, 15:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @selfhelpdoctor

There isn’t any “Update User” action for the WordPress app currently that would allow you to update the user’s role. There is an existing feature request open for this though so I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that. 

I can’t give any estimates on when that functionality will be added to the WordPress app but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it is!

In the meantime, it looks like it should be possible to update a user via the WordPress API (See https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/reference/users/#update-a-user for more details). So I’m thinking that you could potentially use the WordPress API Request (Beta) action to do that. It’s a more advanced feature than the rest of the WordPress actions so it’s a bit different in terms of how you’ve go about setting it up. But if you’re interested in giving it a try you can find out more details on how to set it up here: Set up an API request action.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Userlevel 1

i’m not a developer, so not sure i can figure that out without an example

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, no worries - I definitely hear you. API Requests is a beta feature and are a little more of an advanced approach as Sam mentioned. If you are curious in learning this is a great free resource here: An introduction to API’s.

The link Sam shared (Set up an API request action) also has some steps to follow as well. 

If you’d rather not fuss though you can look into hiring a Zapier Expert to take this on for you.

Thanks again for raising this here! We’ll be sure to let you know if this feature is implemented. 🙂