Skip to main content
Question

Can I turn a Zap into a template if it isn't for me?

• 10 July 2024
  • 8 replies

I am a tech coach and often guide my clients through creating Zaps. I see that there is an option for turning a Zap into a template but I only seem to be able to do it if I have my own accounts tied to the Zap.

What if I don’t use the Apps that my client needs to connect? 

Is it possible for me to create the shell of a zap that they just plug their accounts into?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Kelly Gabel 

Help article about sharing Zap templates: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496292155405-Share-a-template-of-your-Zap

Hi @Troy Tessalone ,

So I do know how to share a zap that I am able to publish, but what if I’m creating a zap for apps that I don’t use myself and am not able to connect the apps (therefore cannot publish and don’t get the create template option)?

Is that just not available functionality?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kelly Gabel 

As a workaround, you can configure the Zap steps, export PNG for the Zap steps, and share that image.

Help: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/16722578092429-Use-the-editor-to-build-and-view-your-Zaps

@Troy Tessalone 

Ok, but this doesn’t seem to show the details of the steps, just the high-level steps themselves, unless I’m missing something.

So, really, a quick screenshare video would be more helpful than just the png in lieu of being able to create a template, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kelly Gabel 

If you don’t have an account for an app, then you can’t configure the settings for the trigger/action, so you wouldn’t be able to show the field mappings anyways.

@Troy Tessalone  right, that’s kinda what I was trying to figure out, is there a way to demonstrate how to create and set up an app if you don’t have an account for the app yourself. I don’t want to have to create accounts for every app that my clients use. Seems like it will have to be a guided session if they need help setting something up.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kelly Gabel 

The app account connected to a Zap step often dictates the fields and options available in the config tab section for the trigger/action, so it’s order of operations when setting up a Zap. (app/event > account > config > test)

@Troy Tessalone Right, that makes sense, I was just hoping that there was some functionality I was missing for training purposes.