Question

Can I send Shopify orders to suppliers after fraud prevention and payment capture?

• 27 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have a similar requirement to the one posted here: 

I send orders to a supplier once certain criteria has been fulfilled. In our case this means that a third party fraud prevention service has approved the transaction and we have captured the payment.

When orders are created in Shopify (in our instance) they are already marked as paid by the customer so I cannot use the New Paid Order trigger. I cannot use the New Order trigger either. For both of these events, the fraud protection would have not completed, which can take up to 24 hours. There are other manual checks we do to validate the order, such as checking the address, before we capture the payment.

I tried using the Order Updated event and setting the Payment Status = paid thinking it would fire only when the payment status changes to paid however, it fire all the time for orders where the payment status is paid. This doesn’t work for us either as we may update the order multiple times and we only want the order to be sent to the supplier once.

I tried using the Chrome extension but could not figure a way to access the order details like you can with the dedicated Shopify triggers which allow you to access the order line items.

The only solution I can think of is to trigger off the Payment Captured (with line item access) as this only triggers once per order.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Carl916, welcome to the Community!

What app/service is handling the fraud checks? If they’re aren’t on Zapier already, do they have a publicly available API?

Just wondering if what you can get around this by adding a Delay by Zapier action to the Zap followed by a action (possibly Webhooks by Zapier) that checks if the payment has been captured before sending the order details to the supplier. Do you think that approach might work?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

Thanks for commenting on my thread. I’m using ClearSale for fraud checks. I can’t see an app already but they do have an API: https://www2.clear.sale/developers/api

I see on the page that they have a Status Update Webhook. Can I tap into this without code?

Thanks,

Carl

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me here, @Carl916! 🙂

Potentially yes. If you’re able to set up ClearSafe to send a webhook to a Zap when the status is updated, then you wouldn’t need to write any code in the Zap as you wouldn’t need to send a GET request to ClearSafe’s API to check on the status to see if the payment has been captured. The Zap could just trigger the Zap when the status is changed (presumably it would provide the order details?) and send the order details to the supplier. If it triggers for multiple order statuses though you may need to add a Filter to the Zap to ensure it only runs for a specific status.

The ClearSafe API documentation doesn’t appear to give much information on how you’d set up that Status Update Webhook on their end, but it would need to send the data to the URL provided in a Catch Hook (Webhooks by Zapier) trigger. You can find out more about how to trigger Zaps from webhooks sent by other apps here: Trigger Zaps from webhooks

Hope that helps. Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on with this!

Userlevel 1

Great, thanks for that. I’ll try creating a webhook and let you know how I get on.

Userlevel 1

ClearSale suggested they update the Tags in Shopify which then allows me to use the order updated event. This looks to provide a good solution.

Thanks for your help on this @SamB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yay! That’s fantastic news, @Carl916! 🎉🎉🎉

Thank you so, so much for taking the time to circle back round here to share the solution you found with the Community - it’s very much appreciated! Seems like you’re all set for now but please do reach out again if we can help with anything else in future. The Community is always eager to help! 🤗 

Until then, happy Zapping! ⚡